Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Blue book would put it in that ball park if it was all genuine and in VG condition. The vibrola harms its value. 

However, that is pretty certainly a 1961, not a 60 and certainly not a '59. 

I am sure that guitar has been on ebay for at least 3 years now.  I remember it being around the £15k mark for a while, I'm sure it was £12k for a while and more recently the £21k he's asking!  Would you buy a used guitar from this man??   8-}

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Even if the guitar is Ok there seem to be a few doubts about the seller. Most of these doubts concerned the "Burst" he was selling which was discussed on LPF.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171364

• RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    It is a lot of money for a guitar!  If I was interested in buying that guitar [and I am not], I would insist on seeing it first.  And I would pay a knowledgeable guitar technician to give the instrument a good looking over before any money changed hands.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    edited September 2013
    The pickup covers have been off for a start, which makes whatever is inside questionable - they would need opening up to find out, even if they've simply been off and put back on again. You could get an accurate date from the pots, if the wiring loom is still original. Given the pickups I would want to check anyway.

What I can't understand is why anyone would fit the 'Custom Made' strip in a different position when using the stoptail! That alone takes a significant amount off the value since with the holes it can now never be right with either tailpiece. Such little holes, such a big deal to those who it matters to...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    The most valuable 335s are late 50s ones in blond, with stop tails. Even these are 'cheap' compared to a late 50s Les Paul. Later ones (and to some extent earlier ones in sunburst) come in at much more 'real world' money.

Cherry definitely makes it 1960 onwards - and it is the most common colour. Many early 60s guitars have very thin necks, which not everyone gets on with. In '63 & '64 they fattened out again.

As ICBM pointed out, evidence that the covers have been off the PAFs is a concern. There is no guarantee all is well inside. In the US, people will pay unbelievable money for a pair of originals. As you might imagine, the stickers are widely faked....

To me, it has too many issues to be worth that much money.

I don't doubt it'll be a great guitar but too much money....
  • He's also selling a couple of Spongebob Squarepants £29.99 guitars. Seems legit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He is having a giggle.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • Pity all the parts on his 59 Les Paul aren't original though..

• If I was spending that much money on a guitar it would have to come from a reputable dealer. 

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3988
    edited September 2013
    Having seen a few of his vintage LP listings get ripped apart on My Les Paul, I don't think I would buy a plectrum off him.