A funny thing happened with my Guild

What's Hot
Cryptid was looking for a Maple backed Jumbo and I have a Guild J30 which matched his requirement. I offered it with a bit of trepidation as I have been quite fond of this guitar for the 15 years or so, I've owned it. To my relief Cryptid got something else and didn't want my Guild.

I happened to strum it and was really impressed with the evenness of the response, the bright clear treble, the balanced mid and the tight tuneful bass. It was even better than I remember it. I know aural memory isn't that reliable but I'd swear it sounds better than it did last time I played it. I simply wonder if the wood changes simply sitting there and maturing?

Happily, I've still got a very nice guitar. Happy days.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    Jumbo.
    Maple.
    Guild. 

How can you argue with three out of three? There are lots of great guitars, all different in their own way, but if there is anything actually better than a good Guild maple jumbo - not just different, better - I'll eat my boots.

(What changes? The wood? The humidity? Your taste and hearing? The phases of the moon? Damned if I know anymore. I recently observed a sudden big change in my 7-year-old cedar top dreadnought (it went from good to really good) and everyone knows that cedar doesn't "open up" the way that spruce does. I've just about given up on trying to make sense of it all. Just enjoy.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    Ah, glad you've found a new love for it Andy! Perhaps just the idea of parting with it has given you a fresh appreciation for the guitar? 

I appreciated the offer but I have most definitely found what I'm looking for now :grin: 

Enjoy the Guild mate.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    How much do you want for it?

Will you take dodgecoin?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Yep, Cryptid went for a Sheryl Crow C&W. 
    He got it around the time I got a Gibson Dove Original (same shop, too). 
    Glad yours managed to stay home :)