Decent soft case for a bass? advice wanted please

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
edited May 2022 in Bass
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    edited May 2022
    Trying to remember which one I’ve got, looking at this I think it’s the cheaper of the two - either way it’s a really nice gig bag for the money. The fender one that came with the case has gone to the back of the cupboard in case I ever sell the bass, I’d use the Thomann one any day of the week over it.

Edit: just checked back on my orders, it is the deluxe. Great value gig bag.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    Trying to remember which one I’ve got, looking at this I think it’s the cheaper of the two - either way it’s a really nice gig bag for the money. The fender one that came with the case has gone to the back of the cupboard in case I ever sell the bass, I’d use the Thomann one any day of the week over it.

The £19 one has 20mm padding
    The Deluxe is £25, I just corrected my typo, also with 20mm padding
    I can't really see much spec difference

I have a hard case but it won't fit in the boot of my car

Similar issue here until I purchased a Skoda Octavia purely because it fitted a firebird case in the boot. 

I like the extra pockets of the deluxe (Warwick gnome in the main pocket, leads, note pad; pedal tuner in the top pocket). Can carry that on my back, carry a lightweight bass cab in one hand and I’m good for rehearsals and small gigs. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    edited May 2022
    I've got the "premium" version of the Thomann deluxe one which is made of Pleather and is definitely am improvement on the cheap crap that you get elsewhere. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_e_bass_gigbag_premium.htm

I also have one of these TGI extreme ones which costs more money but is both comfier to carry and also more protective. 

https://www.peachguitars.com/tgi-gigbag-bass-guitar-extreme-series-.htm?opt=15916
    I've got the "premium" version of the Thomann deluxe one which is made of Pleather and is definitely am improvement on the cheap crap that you get elsewhere. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_e_bass_gigbag_premium.htm

I also have one of these TGI extreme ones which costs more money but is both comfier to carry and also more protective. 

https://www.peachguitars.com/tgi-gigbag-bass-guitar-extreme-series-.htm?opt=15916
    thanks, both look good
    I wouldn't have the £50 one for this, I would only be using it in the car boot occasionally
    The Thomann £29 one is sadly "available in several months"

Similar issue here until I purchased a Skoda Octavia purely because it fitted a firebird case in the boot. 

I like the extra pockets of the deluxe (Warwick gnome in the main pocket, leads, note pad; pedal tuner in the top pocket). Can carry that on my back, carry a lightweight bass cab in one hand and I’m good for rehearsals and small gigs. 
    yes, the pockets do look better on the deluxe
    Rkphilpot said:
    looks nice, but less padding than the Thomann at less than half the price, what about them is better than the Thomann do you think?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7212
    I'm a big fan of hard foam cases.  Most of them are rectangular, but I see that Gear4Music has a shaped one for bass that might just fit in the car because you can angle it better than a rectangular one:
    BillDL said:
    I'm a big fan of hard foam cases.  Most of them are rectangular, but I see that Gear4Music has a shaped one for bass that might just fit in the car because you can angle it better than a rectangular one:
    Looks good, more robust than I need at present though
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    You're doing it wrong, you're supposed to use "it won't fit in the boot" as an excuse to buy more guitars/basses, not more cars!
    Dave_Mc said:
    You're doing it wrong, you're supposed to use "it won't fit in the boot" as an excuse to buy more guitars/basses, not more cars!
    I literally took a firebird case to the dealer and went round the vehicles trying it on various models. The wife was mortified! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7212
    Fortunately I didn't have anybody with me to be mortified early the other morning on my way home from work as the sun was coming up.  I have a guitar with beautiful deep red metallic lacquer that I think might look good on another guitar.  All I've kept seeing in my mind is Mazda cars in a similar colour.  I stopped off at three car dealerships, took my guitar out the case, and walked around holding it up against several used cars outside on display that were similar colour.  I could see the puzzled security guy inside each of the showrooms walking up to the window and watching my antics with curiosity.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Dave_Mc said:
    I literally took a firebird case to the dealer and went round the vehicles trying it on various models. The wife was mortified! :)
    Hahahahaha that's awesome :D 
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 170
    Rkphilpot said:
    looks nice, but less padding than the Thomann at less than half the price, what about them is better than the Thomann do you think?

I don't honestly know, I'm not familiar with the Thomann ones, the tourtech ones are really durable material, the zips are really high quality. MIne have been really abused and have stood up to it. 
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    Like the old saying "buy cheap buy twice" ! It really depends on the bass guitar you have. If it's not an expensive instrument
     then it's not so important but if it's an expensive bass don't go cheap. The cheaper gig bags talk about 2inches of padding etc
     but then the padding is not great add to that cheap strap points that will tear ad cheap zips. A decent gig bag will last.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2259
    edited July 2022
    I've got a Tourtech one. It's OK, but feels a bit flimsy. My bass fell off a low sofa in it. I picked it up and went home, but when I unzipped it, a chunk of wood had split off. It had hit the inside of the zip when the same part of the zip hit the floor. I was miffed. Needs better padding on these edges.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tgi extreme! Excellent and pretty cheap
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management