Consider me impressed

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I did acquire, from the always excellent @monquixote, a Hardwire Tube overdrive pedal.

I've had a little play this evening, and I'm very impressed with said unit.

Considering I've got a few dirty pedals, this is going to the top of the class.

As I've said before the Mk1 Guvnor is (probably) my favourite dirt pedal, the Hardwire sounds very similar.

I've had a good play on the "classic" side, less time using the "modified" side, so not really commenting on that side so much (maybe tomorrow....).

Maybe boutique-only users need to consider cheaper pedals, rather than just top-of-the-range.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lol awarded for another dirt, then changed my mind to a wisdom because this pedal gets universally good reviews.  

How does it do pushing an amp or guvnor or shredmaster type thing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1326
    A few? Lol
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17718
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    Lol awarded for another dirt, then changed my mind to a wisdom because this pedal gets universally good reviews.  

How does it do pushing an amp or guvnor or shredmaster type thing?
    It's TS based so it stacks into a Riot (which is Guvnor based) really well. That's what I tested it with. 

Total bargain OD, as good as anything four times the price.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    edited September 2014
    Yeah I got one recently and it's really very, very good. Works well as a boost (IMO), @ThePrettyDamned
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Bod said:
    A few? Lol

:D yeah a few.........

@ThePrettyDamned ; I shall, at some point, in the future do a little comparison of the various dirts. I haven't yet tried the HW as a boost into an amp, guv etc. When I do, I'll let people know my thoughts on it.  

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Bod said:
    A few? Lol

Mike's Definition of a few

more than one, less than some.

Some = 20+

Currently 18, +1 on loan, + 1 clean boost.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How you finding the true tone boost? I remember liking it for what it is, though I'm not really a clean boost kinda guy...

Looking forward to your thoughts. :D
    For a few reasons I don't have the True Tone anymore.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    Have to agree on the CM-2 - great, great overdrive pedal.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    All of the Hardwire pedals are good. All of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx;340705" said:
    Thats what i was going to say...

Drew_fx said:

You sir, are a wise man

• Yes Hardwire pedals are superb VFM.

This thread is giving me GAS.

• Drew_fx;340705" said:
    Good to know. I have the chorus on the way, and want a reverb.

Apparently, a few packages arrived today so I might have the chorus already...

• The chorus is the bomb, as is the phaser.  At £46 I think you'd have to go a long way to beat the CM-2 in the 'bang for buck' stakes.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • The only issue with them is the amount is the space they take up on a board. If they were top mounted jacks i would have a couple on my board.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    edited September 2014
    ^ Yeah it is a little bigger than some other pedals. Not massively so, but still.

Top-mounted jacks should really be mandatory. Though I think what annoys me more than anything else is when the DC Jack is on the side. That makes adjusting your pedalboard a real pain. At least patch leads only go from one pedal to the next.

mike_l said:
    Is one of those that you got rid of it?
    Drew_fx said:
    Aw come on don't say that. Several of them are still dear enough that I won't bother, but a few are pretty cheap these days...
    Dave_Mc said:
    mike_l said:
    Is one of those that you got rid of it?
    :D Yes, but I won't go into the reasons publically, as it involves a genuine mistake (not mine), all resolved amicably though.

• I have never heard a guvnor but I own a drivemaster and a shredmaster.

What characteristics does the Guvnor have?

I think of the Drivemaster as a lower drive (not by much) and clearer/sparkly version of the Shredmaster. 
    Surprisingly they both have great note separation which I notice can be an issue for some pedals (ZVEX distortron and TC Elec MojoMojo).
    I am curious about the Guvnor. Is there any difference between mk1 and mk2?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited September 2014

The Mk1 is (to my ear) almost amp like. Topped out the gain's higher than a shredmaster, and the 3 tone controls work.

Think along the lines of early Van Halen, LinesupNoses, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, AC/DC Etc for the sounds available, although turning down the gain can be quite subtle.

The Mk2 is a different beast, think along the lines of Deep Purple (with the deep rolled off), to QOTSA. A bit more of a "modern" Marshally sound, but not really amp-like.

EDIT

The Jackhammer, on it's OD setting is closer to the sounds of the Mk1 then the Mk2 is.