Flux for soldering..Don't know what to buy..

What's Hot
Some of the Flux is for plumbing it is saying..

Just giving me a link to buy the stuff easily without having to buy it from an electronics place,
where the postage is 2 times the item would be good..

I don't want to end up with plumbing flux..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1503
    The flux for soldering is in the core of the solder. 

You can buy flux pens that are a felt tip with liquid flux in them, but if your are doing regular soldering you wouldn’t need one
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    What are you soldering that you need to buy flux separately? Do you not have decent solder?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7345
    edited May 2022
    Good quality solder has a flux core.  Sometimes it's useful to also smear some flux onto cold metal parts like the back of pots, strat trem claws, etc and it is useful to help tin twisted wire ends, especially if you aren't very experienced at soldering.  It cleans contaminants off the part and helps the solder to flow and adhere better.  Flux smokes a lot, so have a fan blowing the smoke away.  If you search Google using "soldering flux for electronics" it will zoom in on the electronic stuff in small lip-salve type tins or syringes or pens for about £4.  Similarly if you search Google using "flux core solder for electronics" you will get results and the others can advise you on their preferred brands.  I've had the same massive roll of solder for the last 20 years and there's probably enough for another 10 years, so i wouldn't know what brands might be best.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 492
    edited May 2022
    Thank you..Last Mantra..Thank you Bill Dl...Flux is supposed to be great when wires won't adhere to the back of pots...
    I've sanded and cleaned the hell out of the surface,,sometimes they still won't take..
    CTS Pots especially..They are murder at times..

To the others...If yours take to the back of the Pot,,good for you...That's Brilliant..

Trying not to come across rude and maybe you are not guilty of this,,
    but it feels like it to the person asking for help..
    I just want to share this with you because this is continuous on the internet
    and it can be unpleasant to the people on the receiving end of it..
    What is right for you isn't always right for me..That's life..
    We all have different ways of doing things that work for us..
    I don't need a lesson or lecture on soldering in case someone has to "Mansplain" me...

.Sorry,,but this type of thing happens constantly on the internet.
    People refusing to help because you are very naughty and not doing things their way..
    They know best,,so your pot ends up not getting soldered,unless you do it their way,,
    which you have been trying that way and it doesn't work for you..
    Now that is pretty frustrating..,
    the person on the receiving end can even feel bullied..
    I''ve saw huge threads of this type of thing happening...
    Women never seem to do this,,it is definitely a Male thing..
    it happens with salesmen too,,they must know more than you about everything..
    they actually become angry if you challenge that..

It happens all over Forums with Males,,Guitar and Hifi forums are mostly Male......
    i am Male and at first I thought,,What is Mansplaining,,at first I thought the term was negative to Maen..
    Then I saw it constantly in action..
    Guys do it to Women all the time..
    they also do it to guys too...

The person must know more than you,,In bad cases you must know nothing..
    Don't always assume that about people,,even coming across with that attitude,
    can be off putting to the other person..

If you weren't trying to do this fair enough,,I apologise, but the amount this happens is continual..
    It is definitely a competitive Male Ego thing..

It even advises this flux trick in videos on Youtube as well as it being suggested on here by someone,,
    who it obviously very much works for...
    As I say,,if rosin core solder works for you great..
    It works for most things for me..I use rosin core solder all the time if I can....
    Whatever helps me is a bonus,,it isn't like the flux is expensive..  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    edited May 2022
    I think the flux/solder combo is fine for straight forward stuff but I find separates give you more control. 

A tin that size should last a long time too if it's just for odd jobs.

Whatever works for you though. 
    I think the flux/solder combo is fine for straight forward stuff but I find separates give you more control. 

A tin that size should last a long time too if it's just for odd jobs.

Whatever works for you though. 
    Thanks..  :)
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited May 2022
    Sounds like you've had some bad experiences on forums KevS!

Elsewhere I presume...I ask stupid questions frequently here and never receive anything else other than polite help and the occasional LOL badge
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    When I was doing KaBL, I used a tiny bit of flux paste on every join.  Magic stuff.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    KevS said:
    Thank you..Last Mantra..Thank you Bill Dl...Flux is supposed to be great when wires won't adhere to the back of pots...
    I've sanded and cleaned the hell out of the surface,,sometimes they still won't take..
    CTS Pots especially..They are murder at times..

To the others...If yours take to the back of the Pot,,good for you...That's Brilliant..

Trying not to come across rude and maybe you are not guilty of this,,
    but it feels like it to the person asking for help..
    I just want to share this with you because this is continuous on the internet
    and it can be unpleasant to the people on the receiving end of it..
    What is right for you isn't always right for me..That's life..
    We all have different ways of doing things that work for us..
    I don't need a lesson or lecture on soldering in case someone has to "Mansplain" me...

.Sorry,,but this type of thing happens constantly on the internet.
    People refusing to help because you are very naughty and not doing things their way..
    They know best,,so your pot ends up not getting soldered,unless you do it their way,,
    which you have been trying that way and it doesn't work for you..
    Now that is pretty frustrating..,
    the person on the receiving end can even feel bullied..
    I''ve saw huge threads of this type of thing happening...
    Women never seem to do this,,it is definitely a Male thing..
    it happens with salesmen too,,they must know more than you about everything..
    they actually become angry if you challenge that..

It happens all over Forums with Males,,Guitar and Hifi forums are mostly Male......
    i am Male and at first I thought,,What is Mansplaining,,at first I thought the term was negative to Maen..
    Then I saw it constantly in action..
    Guys do it to Women all the time..
    they also do it to guys too...

The person must know more than you,,In bad cases you must know nothing..
    Don't always assume that about people,,even coming across with that attitude,
    can be off putting to the other person..

If you weren't trying to do this fair enough,,I apologise, but the amount this happens is continual..
    It is definitely a competitive Male Ego thing..

It even advises this flux trick in videos on Youtube as well as it being suggested on here by someone,,
    who it obviously very much works for...
    As I say,,if rosin core solder works for you great..
    It works for most things for me..I use rosin core solder all the time if I can....
    Whatever helps me is a bonus,,it isn't like the flux is expensive..  
    I think you might be over-egging it here old fruit. 
    Perhaps I missed something,  but all the replies I saw posted before you launched this comment were polite. 
    No one took the mick. On this forum, I've always found people to be extremely helpful when others ask for help and advice.
    We sometimes get the odd belligerent individual on here, but even then, I can't remember anyone posting a snarky reply to someone asking for technical  guitar related help. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    edited May 2022
    @KevS ;
    I used to think multi core solder was ok until a friend showed me the difference between a soldered connection with and without flux now I add a little flux to every soldered connection I make, I have a big spool of the old leaded solder but its way past it’s best so probably benefits from a little fresh flux anyway, but I find the solder flows much better with a little extra flux than it does without it. I got a small salve type tin from a local electronics shop for a couple of quid I think. I don’t know the difference (or even if there is a difference) between plumbing and electronics solder but until I find out ill use the right stuff. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1316
    I'm a recent convert to using a separate flux.  I'd always struggled soldering to the back of pots until I tried it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7345
    As long as you use "Tone Flux" you will be fine   ;)
    M1ck said:

I don’t know the difference (or even if there is a difference) between plumbing and electronics solder but until I find out ill use the right stuff.
    There IS a difference between "plumbing FLUX" and some other types.  Flux for soldering copper pipes is supposed to be water soluble andof low toxicity (WRAS - Water Regulations Advisory Scheme - approved) so that any that is left on the inside of water supply pipes washes away easily and is harmless in pipes that supply "potable water" for drinking.  You definitely aren't supposed to use lead solder for solder couplings on drinking water pipes.  With that said, however, most plumbing FLUX works OK for electronic soldering.  For example, Fernox Frys Powerflux "the ideal flux for lead free solder" (plumbing flux) that I used a few times when I misplaced my "electronics" rosin flux worked just fine. Good solder flow, good solder adhesion, and full conductivity through the joints.  Better to get stuff designed for electronic work though.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18871
    Hi Kev, I'm no expert but if you aren't happy with multicore or similar pre-fluxed products, you can make your own flux without much hassle.
    Have a web search for  'DIY flux electronic acid free soldering'  or similar eg  https://www.hackster.io/t0m/diy-solder-flux-from-pine-resin-4aa0c2
    If you'd like I can send you some solid colophony resin for free, so you'd just need some pure Isopropyl? Or I could send some pre dissolved resin? 
    Any experts here will hopefully chip in to tell me what alcohol/resin ratios are required or why this is all a terrible idea  ;)
    Plumbing specific fluxes can result in acidic residues that can harm electronic components & as you note, should be avoided.

Hi Kev, I'm no expert but if you aren't happy with multicore or similar pre-fluxed products, you can make your own flux without much hassle.
    Have a web search for  'DIY flux electronic acid free soldering'  or similar eg  https://www.hackster.io/t0m/diy-solder-flux-from-pine-resin-4aa0c2
    If you'd like I can send you some solid colophony resin for free, so you'd just need some pure Isopropyl? Or I could send some pre dissolved resin? 
    Any experts here will hopefully chip in to tell me what alcohol/resin ratios are required or why this is all a terrible idea  ;)
    Plumbing specific fluxes can result in acidic residues that can harm electronic components & as you note, should be avoided.

Hi,

Extremely kind of you..
    I have ordered some flux for just over £2,,if this works ,,brilliant..
    It should as someone else on here uses it.
    It is only the back of pots I have trouble with..
    In fact only the back of CTS Pots..
    Fender pots seem to be fine...
    This looks a very interesting read though...

Thank You.. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Laco flux is an acid flux that cleans when it heats up and is good for difficult metals like the back of pots or dirty copper or brass
    Fluxite is very good for copper or tinned copper and as it's a wax/paste it stays put and doesn't evaporate. 
    Both need to be cleaned off afterwards

Tallow for lead if you ever need to solder that. 

edited May 2022
    hywelg said:
    Laco flux is an acid flux that cleans when it heats up and is good for difficult metals like the back of pots or dirty copper or brass
    Fluxite is very good for copper or tinned copper and as it's a wax/paste it stays put and doesn't evaporate. 
    Both need to be cleaned off afterwards

Tallow for lead if you ever need to solder that. 

I was going to use isopropyl or naphtha..
    Older style rosin core Lead solder I think and the stuff in the tin above...
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    edited May 2022
    BillDL said:
    As long as you use "Tone Flux" you will be fine  
    M1ck said:

I don’t know the difference (or even if there is a difference) between plumbing and electronics solder but until I find out ill use the right stuff.
    There IS a difference between "plumbing FLUX" and some other types.  Flux for soldering copper pipes is supposed to be water soluble andof low toxicity (WRAS - Water Regulations Advisory Scheme - approved) so that any that is left on the inside of water supply pipes washes away easily and is harmless in pipes that supply "potable water" for drinking.  You definitely aren't supposed to use lead solder for solder couplings on drinking water pipes.  With that said, however, most plumbing FLUX works OK for electronic soldering.  For example, Fernox Frys Powerflux "the ideal flux for lead free solder" (plumbing flux) that I used a few times when I misplaced my "electronics" rosin flux worked just fine. Good solder flow, good solder adhesion, and full conductivity through the joints.  Better to get stuff designed for electronic work though.
    We’ll there you go - every day is a school day  thanks for the explanation @BillDL I really had no idea, I would have carried on regardless using the ‘right’ flux, at least now I know why! 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    edited May 2022
    Usually the main problem when soldering larger things like pots is getting them hot enough. Sounds like the op might need a more powerful iron?
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    Usually the main problem when soldering larger things like pots is getting them hot enough. Sounds like the op might need a more powerful iron?
    Quite possibly, or the shape of the tip. I have a pointy one (very technical I know) for most stuff and a wedge shaped one that works well on pots as the contact area is greater.