Gameboy Synth

What's Hot
https://youtu.be/GOFJmOIqJPg

Placed an order for an Arduinoboy pro which allows a Gameboy to be played using a midi instrument. Looking forward to finding a use for the 30 year old machine! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14523
    TBH, while it is nice to see that GB enthusiasts can squeeze a fraction more enjoyment out of their devices, it is difficult to believe that those sounds would amuse for very long in a musical context.

As ever, I would be happy to be proven wrong. Post your Gameboy Concerti on Soundcloud. Let everyone have a listen.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    TBH, while it is nice to see that GB enthusiasts can squeeze a fraction more enjoyment out of their devices, it is difficult to believe that those sounds would amuse for very long in a musical context.

As ever, I would be happy to be proven wrong. Post your Gameboy Concerti on Soundcloud. Let everyone have a listen.

Sounds like a challenge! I think it'll depend on the type of music you make, but also there's a lot you can do to the sound to change it. For instance if you add some filters and an autoswell you'll wind up with something that has a really different feel, both of which I have to hand. I've just bought a load of Gameboy games, so will try sampling from those and combining.

Getting a guitar to sit with it will be challenging though, I think a ring mod and or bitcrusher will do it.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1508
    https://youtu.be/vc3JWo2iiGc

Etc. there was a lot interesting stuff happening back in 2006 with chip tune and full bands. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14523
    2006? This is a guitar forum. Most Fretboarders are still obsessing about music gear from the Fifties!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    The Arduinoboy Pro arrived yesterday. Took quite a while to get setup: there’s no manual I could find. Came a cropper because it can do midi over usb and midi over trs which caused for confusion. I was accidentally sending it both at once.

Trying to get the Arturia Beatstep to work with it took a lot of time, but that was the Beatstep’s fault (some configurations cause the Beatstep to ignore the midi channel change command). Now however I can use it to change the synth parameters without needing to use the Gameboy controls.

Will see what I can get out of it this week now it’s all ready. Nice to have an extra FM synth out of something I already had lying around though