Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited May 2022
    RIP and off to join his fellow countryman and band mate, Demis Roussos.

What a shame and I actually liked some of the  Greek Prog from Aphrodite's Child material and 'The Four Horsemen' was used in a car advert last year
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    He had an early album, Heaven and Hell which I liked back then and could still listen to.  The only track I'm not keen on is the one with Jon Anderson of Yes doing the vocals. 
    But RIP Vangelis. 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    edited May 2022
    RIP Vangelis. His original Blade Runner score cemented a place in my heart for his music. A true legend of the electronic music genre.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    Absolute legend RIP.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    edited May 2022
    This is very sad news, Chariots of Fire is a brilliant piece of music.

RIP
    “Ken sent me.”
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18749
    Incredibly diverse & multi talented individual. RIP
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited May 2022
    Yep.. a legend

RIP
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Astonishing musical genius - for decades I always assumed he was classically trained, but quite recently discovered that he couldn’t read music, and composed and played his music mostly in real time on a complex mixing console to allow him to blend all the sounds himself as he played and recorded it… there was a documentary about him which showed how he did it - just astounding.

Aphrodite’s Child were quite groundbreaking in their day too, and it’s remarkable that both Vangelis and Demis Roussos went on to be successful in completely different musical directions.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    To me, he'll always be the sound of Cosmos.  One very talented dude.

RIP
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    One of the greats. In my youth I got a random compilation tape that had Vangelis and Jarre on it. Hooked on both ever since.

Chariots of fire and blade runner is some legacy.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1442
    Saw this just now, very sad indeed.  RIP.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 558
    edited May 2022
    Blade Runner is probably in my all time top 3 Films ever . . . The soundtrack is stunning, haunting and all consuming . . . a work of pure genius, in my humble opinion of course. What vision  . . . RIP Vangelis . . . A sad day indeed :-( 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JJManJJMan Frets: 35
    China album changed my life direction - RIP and thank you!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Vangelis and the Journey to Ithaka

There's a section at about 24' with him writing and playing in his studio which is just mindblowing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    ICBM said:
    Astonishing musical genius - for decades I always assumed he was classically trained, but quite recently discovered that he couldn’t read music, and composed and played his music mostly in real time on a complex mixing console to allow him to blend all the sounds himself as he played and recorded it… there was a documentary about him which showed how he did it - just astounding.

Aphrodite’s Child were quite groundbreaking in their day too, and it’s remarkable that both Vangelis and Demis Roussos went on to be successful in completely different musical directions.

RIP :(

My 1st joint was tae the 666 album and still love the 4 Horsemen and Break tae this day
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom