Midi Keyboard/ piano

What's Hot
I'm looking for a midi keyboard to use with the VSTs in garage band but also to take the opportunity to learn some basic piano playing.

After investigating a bit I think I'm going to opt for the M-audio Keystation MK3. The question however is how many keys? 49 seems more than enough for the midi equation, but is it appropriate to learn piano or would 61 be more adequate?
____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6165
    The more serious you get about piano, the more a lack of keys will annoy you.

So ... buy a 49-key controller (perhaps used so you can flip it not lose £££s), get started and then see. You might want to make the space for an 88-key piano-weighted keyboard/controller (I did) but you may find for general keys/synth playing you'll be happy with 49 or 61.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10429
    For solo piano I always want 88 keys, anything less is restrictive. For piano parts in songs less is generally fine. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17647
    tFB Trader
    Novation have launched a new 88 key midi controller today.

Most people seem to use Arturia MIDI controllers these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    goldtop said:

So ... buy a 49-key controller (perhaps used so you can flip it not lose £££s), get started and then see. You might want to make the space for an 88-key piano-weighted keyboard/controller (I did) but you may find for general keys/synth playing you'll be happy with 49 or 61.

Hi!
    I've still got the Oberheim one I had off you - a great lump of a thing!
    I've now downsized to something more manageable, so it's standing propped against a wall.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6165
    prowla said:
    goldtop said:

Hi!
    I've still got the Oberheim one I had off you - a great lump of a thing!
    I've now downsized to something more manageable, so it's standing propped against a wall.
    It is a bit of a monster, isn't it? :)

I've got a Kawai DP these days, and that's perfect for just switching on and playing whenever the mood takes me - no need to plug anything in. That's got no aftertouch though, and the weighting makes it slow to play for my weak fingers, so for other stuff I use a synth keyboard.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    edited May 2022
    Thanks all. I’ll probably go with the 61. The difference in price is negligible and it fits in my desk. 
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14493
    edited May 2022
    prowla said:
    I've still got the Oberheim one I had off [goldtop] - a great lump of a thing! I've now downsized to something more manageable, so it's standing propped against a wall.
    Wot's if werf, then, mister? 

The aftertouch on my JX-10 has turned to concrete. I am considering getting a new controller for my MIDI synth modules. My XP-80 serves for the time being but its key action is not as nice as the old A Series semi-weighted.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9816
    I have an 88 key piano for my piano work (wedding pianist) which is absolutely necessary if you're playing properly solo stuff as Danny points out.

However for using as a Midi keyboard for virtual instruments, I'd say a 49 key would be fine (that's what I use for that purpose rather than my piano, a Yamaha MX49) but if you have space and budget for the 61 key size then I'd say go for it as you won't then be left wanting the extra keys at some point.

I'd say most of the midi inputting I've done via keyboard has never needed more than 49 keys unless it's one of my Piano accompanied type songs, if you're using it to play in bass parts or drums or anything like that (which is what I do) you're likely to just be using one hand and doing a bit at a time so you can always piece it together with the octave switches if needs be. 

For learning piano playing, I'd say it's a bit more of a woolly area as it depends what you are hoping to achieve in that respect really. But if you're going for the 61 key then I'd say that's probably a good move to cover that base really.

FWIW I've done weddings as a paid pianist with my 49 key non-weighted slightly-smaller-keys-than-a-proper-one keyboard and it was perfectly fine (as I was playing modern pieces which use less range than classical), so the main thing is learning your muscle memory and stuff and fine tuning your pianist's techniques can come later really I guess.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17647
    tFB Trader
    I have an 88 key piano for my piano work (wedding pianist) which is absolutely necessary if you're playing properly solo stuff as Danny points out.

However for using as a Midi keyboard for virtual instruments, I'd say a 49 key would be fine (that's what I use for that purpose rather than my piano, a Yamaha MX49) but if you have space and budget for the 61 key size then I'd say go for it as you won't then be left wanting the extra keys at some point.

I'd say most of the midi inputting I've done via keyboard has never needed more than 49 keys unless it's one of my Piano accompanied type songs, if you're using it to play in bass parts or drums or anything like that (which is what I do) you're likely to just be using one hand and doing a bit at a time so you can always piece it together with the octave switches if needs be. 

For learning piano playing, I'd say it's a bit more of a woolly area as it depends what you are hoping to achieve in that respect really. But if you're going for the 61 key then I'd say that's probably a good move to cover that base really.

FWIW I've done weddings as a paid pianist with my 49 key non-weighted slightly-smaller-keys-than-a-proper-one keyboard and it was perfectly fine (as I was playing modern pieces which use less range than classical), so the main thing is learning your muscle memory and stuff and fine tuning your pianist's techniques can come later really I guess.

This is a super helpful post, brilliant insight there.
    Thanks all.

At the age of 49 it's unlikely that I'll be learning any classical pieces or anything too demanding that would require an 88 key keyboard. 61 keys are probably the best compromise for me to learn chords and a few simple solo pieces for my recordings and to use as a midi controller.
    ____
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    61 is perfectly fine.   and after 5 years of  doing grades etc I can think of  a handful of pieces where I've needed 88 keys. 

73/76 is  the sweet spot I reckon.

If you're planning on using garageband via an ipad/iphone, then the M-audio keystation is the place to go and the mk3 is a nice simple keyboad. Keybed is ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    prowla said:
    I've still got the Oberheim one I had off [goldtop] - a great lump of a thing! I've now downsized to something more manageable, so it's standing propped against a wall.
    Wot's if werf, then, mister? 

The aftertouch on my JX-10 has turned to concrete. I am considering getting a new controller for my MIDI synth modules. My XP-80 serves for the time being but its key action is not as nice as the old A Series semi-weighted.

I acquired it from @goldtop ;for a £50 donation to the site.
    I'd be happy to let it go for the same.
    It would have to be collected though.
    It needs a new battery; I didn't get round to doing that.
    It's finally here after almost a month on DHL hands. The keybed is pretty good considering the price and fits nicely into my desk. I get to explore hundreds of sounds from garage band and I am already getting into chords and scales.

The best part, however, is that my 13 year old son is pretty excited as well and has decided to learn the piano too. I hope he sticks with it and does not get bored as he did with drums a few years back.
    ____