Scratch guard for my Yamaha APX 600

lapua65lapua65 Frets: 42
I was planning on getting a scratch guard for my very little Yamaha APX 600. So far I have drawn a blank. Other than a site in Canada I couldn't find anything at all. The APX has an oval sound hole. Anyone got any ideas of where I can get one or even get one made?
Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    There are companies here in the UK who will make scratchplates, KGB of Birkenhead being one :) 
  • lapua65lapua65 Frets: 42
    Mellish said:
    There are companies here in the UK who will make scratchplates, KGB of Birkenhead being one :) 
    Thanks I'll give him a bell
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    edited June 2022
    Bought this recently to put on a cheap Vintage after noticing after 2 weeks that it actually had no pickguard! Its very thin. So you might think that cutting it to shape would be easy, but in fact it comes on a firm plastic backing. To begin with I thought the backing was the scratchplate before sussing it out (was obviously having my stupid month that month). But you could cut a template, score through the thin adhesive see-through scratch plate with a very sharp knife, remove the pickguard from the backing and then attach it. That should do it! Ideal in fact. You might look a long time to find anything for an oval soundhole. Mine looks nice now, a bit like those clear pickquards on Lowdens. It's not a lot more than the clear protective stuff you can put over smartphone screens TBH. But it's much more than clingfilm! Didn't seem to alter tone. Would be cheaper than bespoke too. Hope that's helpful.

[Healingshield] Premium Acoustic Guitar Pickguard Basic Type Clear matt : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    ^ ^ If the DIY approach beckons, you can buy clear "sticky backed plastic" (EBay) , cut a cardboard template to suit and make your own. It's not easy to put on without getting bubbles. That's the only problem I encountered when making one for my Ukulele.