Playing abroad

What's Hot
greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 504
edited May 2022 in Acoustics
I've been asked to play guitar at a friend's wedding this summer (only as the bride walks down the aisle, no stress!!) and aside from colour coordinating a guitar to my outfit, I'm wondering if I can just get on a plane to France with my guitar, or if there's anything more to it? The guitar in choice is likely to be an Atkin 43*, so it contains rosewood, but then again I'm not selling it and I'm not being paid, so... c'est bon? 

Thanks!

*I really want to play my Martin 00-28, but the condition of that guitar is so good I'd cry if it got damaged. The Atkin being a relic somehow seems like the best choice... plus it's louder.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• therealtingtherealting Frets: 51
    I play weddings almost every weekend. Personally, for one song, I’d be tempted to borrow a guitar there or ask if one can be hired for you. Travelling with instruments is a headache. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    You’re at the mercy of the airline, and even if it’s allowed in their Ts & Cs, they might tell you otherwise when you’re in the departure lounge (and then what do you do?). So many posts about this online. Borrowing one from someone who’s travelling within france, or driving to the wedding, would be how I’d do it. 
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 504
    edited May 2022
    Whoops, just realised I posted this in the completely wrong place!! Sorry!! I spend too long looking in the classifieds I just gravitate there!

Thanks for the heads up though, there's a band playing so I'll see if there's a guitar available, plus a friend is driving out there so I might be able to get a guitar to him ahead of time
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 243
    If you have a receipt for the instrument to show you are not importing /exporting it, that would be good. However, if you can beg borrow etc that would be better.
  • As others have said, for one song I would try and borrow a guitar. I travel a fair bit by plane with a guitar but it's €50 extra each way, they put it in the baggage hold and you are taking a chance on it being damaged. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    edited June 2022
    Check airlines, some like Iberia, BA, Emirates (been a while do check again) have T&Cs that allow carry on. I would be super cautious about hold luggage and if so then get one of these shipped to France in advance (to bring back with you or gift) and take a soundhole pickup. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_gs_travel_mahogany.htm
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    When people say France I'm assuming they drive there. Slightly surprised when they are flying. So can you not drive there? Take whatever you like then (only checked for drugs and ham sandwiches). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1134
    Well in my case flying to France is handier than a nine hour drive to Dover, then ferry and drive on the other side.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    edited June 2022
    I assume neither your much-loved Martin 00-28 nor the Atkin contain no Brazilian Rosewood? I might be wrong but I think it still falls within CITES regulations. In which case it wouldn't be 'bon', no.

The Martin would have to be really old I think. If it were a vintage Martin and contained Brazilian Rosewood I wouldn't take it. Firstly because you might need a CITES certificate and secondly because the French police just adore making it difficult for Brits. Did you see 2y ago when they stole that lorry driver's sandwiches because they contained cheese and then all stood around laughing their socks off? That was on the TV news at the time. (Actually, it was a bit funny!)

There were stories doing the rounds prior to the 2019 CITES changes about people trying to cross EU borders with CITES listed woods and having them confiscated +/- destroyed.
    CITES destroys 500 Cordoba guitars - The Gibson Lounge - Gibson Brands Forums
    I can't vouch for the 100% truth of those stories (most of them are on the interweb) but worth being aware.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    If it was me, I wouldn't take any decent guitar with me to France to do...one song?? 

I'm in the borrow/hire group. Why take a risk if you don't have to? :) 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33815
    When I fly I take a headless electric that fits in carry on.
    I no longer fly with full sized instruments and never with an acoustic.

France? I'd drive it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27146
    +1 to borrowing a guitar or driving. Non-Brazilian rosewood shouldn't be any issue, but damage is a real possibility. 

My standard copy/paste on flying with guitars: 

"I've got Gibsons in standard TKL type hardcases in the cabin with me a couple of times. To do that I ask nicely at check-in to gate-check it because it's valuable and sentimental. They never have any genuine reason to say no, but it is possible they will argue, depending on the airline and what sort of day the desk agent is having. Don't be afraid to lay on a little "it's very fragile so while I'm happy for it to go in the hold I need to make sure it doesn't go through the conveyor belt system". 

Then when you get to the gate, say nothing unless challenged (and reiterate the "fragile" spiel if questioned). When you get to the plane, either put it straight into an overhead (if you're on a plane with big enough bins) or ask *very* nicely for them to put it in a cupboard (again because v fragile & sentimental value etc etc). They key with all this is to be as friendly and polite and accommodating as possible at every stage, while being firm enough to make sure it doesn't ever see a conveyor belt. Just be super calm and appreciative throughout and people will usually try and help.

What also helps here is I have a lot of loyalty with various airlines, so get priority boarding, which makes all of this much easier. And platinum status with Etihad means they're happy to do whatever to help."

The key thing is to be really nice to everyone you come across, and make it clear that you appreciate their help in protecting your pride & joy."

Most recently I brought a Bourgeois back from the US to the UAE - the most expensive and fragile guitar I've ever bought, but that was made much easier by flying in First (thanks airmiles!) 

If you have any doubts about the above, or if you're considering a budget airline (including BA...) I would reiterate the suggestion to borrow or drive.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    DavidR said:
     Did you see 2y ago when they stole that lorry driver's sandwiches because they contained cheese and then all stood around laughing their socks off? That was on the TV news at the time. (Actually, it was a bit funny!)

US Customs confiscated my egg & cheese sandwiches. That was a bad day :( 
    Thanks for the further comments. I've managed to get hold of another guitar now so I don't have to take one of my own.

I'd still prefer to have my own guitar as it'll be one I'm familiar with, plus I get to practice when I'm over there, but it's not worth the cost nor risk of damage by taking it with me. Driving isn't an option, it's a 9.5hr drive from Calais, we're taking a baby with us, leaving another child back at home (kiddie free wedding with the exception of babies) plus it's during term time so we can't do the drive in sections, so driving is not feasible. I don't want my sandwiches pinched at customs either ha!
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1884
    DavidR said:
    I assume neither your much-loved Martin 00-28 nor the Atkin contain no Brazilian Rosewood? I might be wrong but I think it still falls within CITES regulations. In which case it wouldn't be 'bon', no.

The Martin would have to be really old I think. If it were a vintage Martin and contained Brazilian Rosewood I wouldn't take it. Firstly because you might need a CITES certificate and secondly because the French police just adore making it difficult for Brits. Did you see 2y ago when they stole that lorry driver's sandwiches because they contained cheese and then all stood around laughing their socks off? That was on the TV news at the time. (Actually, it was a bit funny!)

There were stories doing the rounds prior to the 2019 CITES changes about people trying to cross EU borders with CITES listed woods and having them confiscated +/- destroyed.
    I can't vouch for the 100% truth of those stories (most of them are on the interweb) but worth being aware.
    Serves him right for trying to take cheese into France. French cheeses are usually delicious anyway.
    Serves him right for trying to take cheese into France. French cheeses are usually delicious anyway.
    Bread (baguette) is probably better too! 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    DavidR said:
     Did you see 2y ago when they stole that lorry driver's sandwiches because they contained cheese and then all stood around laughing their socks off? That was on the TV news at the time. (Actually, it was a bit funny!)

Egg and cheese in one sandwich?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18896
    DavidR said:

Liz Truss would like a word with you about this viewpoint...  ;)
    DavidR said:

Egg and cheese in one sandwich?
    No, two separate ones - I’m not a monster! Iirc the egg one had bacon as well. It would’ve been lovely too!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1884
    DavidR said:

Liz Truss would like a word with you about this viewpoint...  ;)
    I'd like about a dozen four letter words with her and her colleagues too.