SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Needed: 1 humbucker screw and spring only!

handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1007
Hi 

Can anyone with some spares (or a pickup builder) help? I bought a used PRS guitar and the bridge humbucker was sitting a bit oddly. Turns out it has no spring on the screw and I'm pretty sure the screw is the wrong size for the guitar and the humbucker seems to slip off it.

Would anyone have a spare screw and spring for a USA PRS humbucker that they could send me for a sensible small fee? They are about £5 for a full set of 4 online but I only need one screw and one spring which would fit in a normal paper envelope so wouldn't cost much to post. Happy to pay cost and postage.

If I don't hear anything I'll probably just order a set online but thought I'd ask here first knowing there's so many great chaps about. :-)

Thanks

Rik
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    If the screw doesn't bite and is undamaged then it's likely the threaded hole in the pickup leg is worn. 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 835
    Is the pickup suspended by the screw from a pickup ring / frame or is the pickup directly body mounted?

US thread screws (3-48) are actually narrower than the Far Eastern screws (3mm diameter). So if the thread isn’t biting, then the hole in the pick up leg is worn - Steve Robinson is usually correct…

I wonder if a 3mm (M3) screw will ‘bite’ if a US spec hole is little bit enlarged…
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1007
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I’m not sure if it actually is slipping off it or not. It might be that it wasn’t properly installed.

Being a PRS pick-up I think it’s a US thread. 

I’ll see if I can swap the screw with another humbucker on the guitar to check it it actually is slipping or not.