Especially for Mellish

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5450
Just because I know how much you like a headstock with a neat and tidy wind-on mate. :)

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Yes Mate, whoever did that did an...erm...expert job!  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5450
    edited June 2022
    Well, actually, it was me. I knew you'd like it.  

(Hey - it holds tune. What more do I need?)

PS: You should see my fences. (Actually I'm better with a pair of fencing pliers and a few hundred metres of 2.5mm HT wire than I am with those fiddly little guitar strings.) 

edited June 2022
    Oh they can hold tune very well. I've seen examples  where the strings were like a spider's web across the headstock but tuning stabiluty-wise, you couldn't fault it  
    Thanks for the pic, though, mate, very amusing :) 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 232
    Took me a couple of seconds to spot what was wrong with that photo. (I've just been for an overdue eye test yesterday). I now see it - the other 5 are waiting to be done! If I hadn't read previous threads I might have thought someone was averse to string changing! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    edited June 2022
    How in heaven's name did you get the top e string to twist like that? Mine seem to snap at the smallest provocation.
    It's actually a C string - this is my baritone @TheMadMick

As to how - slowly!

(I didn't want it to break again. I have zillions of spare strings but not many for baritone acoustic, and the nearest place to buy a fresh set in my preferred brand is Michigan. Anyway, I did that kludge a week ago when I broke a new string tuning up for the first time, and it is holding fine.)

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited June 2022
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1411
    That truss rod cover screw is also looking at me funny ;)
    Fair play to your skills though - I was disheartened by my ever shitter attampts at string changes before realising that my vision was on it's way out. Sewing and nail clipping too, it's a case of hit n' hope!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    If it's stupid and it works... it's not stupid! 

I would assume not a long-term fix but good to get through a gig or a session until you can get a proper spare
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    @bertie ; - can't see the pic mate, no Facebook connection.

But I've had Hummingbirds. Great guitars, if you find a good one. I've had two Modern Classic's and a Hummingbird True Vintage :) 
    @stickyfiddle ; - very true mate, it can't be wrong if it works :) 
    It seems indistinguishable from a proper string @stickyfiddle (other than visually) so it might as well stay until my next routine string change.

(More generally, I've learned that when bending metal, the tricks to go very slowly and gently. I learned that bending up galvanised steel sheets to make replacement roofing flashings for my (previous) 130-year-old wooden house, and repeated the trick with variations making flashing to go around the door of the pump shed I built last year here at the (current) Tasmanian house. Put the sheet in a vice (clamp between two lengths of timber if it is too long), then, using a rubber hammer, tap, tap, tap  gently until you have a nice neat right-angle bend. Slow is fast.)

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9622
    Tacoma Narrow Headsrock Disaster.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1852
    Got to say that I've never heard of a Tacoma
    edited June 2022
    Tacoma, @guitarjack66 was an American manufacturer based in (you guessed it) Tacoma, Washington State.  Curiously enough, Tacoma was owned by South Korean interests but did all of its manufacturing in the US (which is sort of the opposite of the usual arrangement). They were bloody good, and innovative with it. 

Sadly, Fender bought them out and, as bloody always with Fender, wrecked the company. Fender did the same shit to Guild, and to Ovation as well. Three good acoustic guitar makers, all wrecked by Fender. They sold Guild to Cordoba while there was still some value in the name and Cordoba have done a great job bringing the company back from the dead. They sold Ovation to Chinese interests and it survives, though it is far from the force it used to be. They left it too late to sell Tacoma and by now the name is almost forgotten and even Tacoma's valuable portfolio of IP is probably near-worthless. It is a terrible shame as Tacoma made products you just can't buy now.

My Tacoma Thunderhawk baritone is unique. Not long after I bought it, the shop I got if from contacted me to say they had a client in the States who wanted to buy it. Was I interested? Name my own price. Sorry, not for sale.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Tacoma Narrow Headsrock Disaster.
    indeed !!!  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.