London shops for acoustic guitars

What's Hot
I'm planning a trip in August with my brother in law to both pick up a new (to us) acoustic guitar around the £500 price range.

We're saying London because it's easy enough to get to for us and we assume the choice will be best. Are we right? Is there anywhere else easily commutable from Peterborough that we should consider?

Assuming London is the best option, where should we head to for selection? I assume Denmark Street is still the main hub, any particular shops?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    Coda music in Stevenage, just off the A1. Been years since I was last there, but I understand they have a dedicated acoustic shop now.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    VimFuego said:
    Coda music in Stevenage, just off the A1. Been years since I was last there, but I understand they have a dedicated acoustic shop now.
    Cheers Vim. We could do that on the way down, or way back I guess.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited June 2022
    What about Breeve  Music and Ashton Music Ltd? They're actually on your doorstep.

But if you're going to London anyway, you could try Denmark Street. Frailers are down that way, GuitarGuitar. Coda as Vim there says, Guitar Village. Some are an extra trek but do-able  
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Denmark Street is nowhere near as good as it used to be.  I think Wunjos has a reasonable reputation, and there is something on Rathbone Place (about 3 or 4 minutes walk) where Ivor Mairants used to be.

Personally I'd head to the Guitar Guitar in Camden rather than Denmark Street if I was going into London.

Having said that, I think @VimFuego ; was right in suggesting Coda.  They are probably better than any of the London shops, and nearer to Peterborough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Mellish said:
    What about Breeve  Music and Ashton Music Ltd? They're actually on your doorstep.

But if you're going to London anyway, you could try Denmark Street. Frailers are down that way, GuitarGuitar. Coda as Vim there says, Guitar Village. Some are an extra trek but do-able  
    Nobody I know in Peterborough talks about Breve music for guitars. And Ashton isn't a shop, it was just an importer and warehouse - I nearly got a job there years ago when I was making a career change and needed something to tie me over.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Mellish said:
     Frailers are down that way
    they be in Runcorn  don't em ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 117
    Agree with comments above - Denmark St is a sad shell of what it used to be, even from a few years ago when I lived in London. Wunjo is ok and I’ve bought from there before. Camden Guitarguitar is better and has a decent selection. Coda gets my vote as pick of the bunch. Guitar Village is ok, with a decent selection and some nice stuff. But they’re further out from central London and they flogged me a guitar with a completely loosened truss rod which had allegedly been “set up” not too long ago, so I’m not thoroughly recommending them. 
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1412
    edited June 2022
    How about Music Street in Huntingdon? I've never used them so I don't know how good they are but the shop is much closer to Peterborough.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    Yamaha Music, Wardour St, Soho. Guitars are downstairs. Quite good fun to doodle on the shiny keyboard thingies too!! :-)
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @bertie ; - possibly :) 
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    MAK’S guitars in Rathbone Place is definitely worth a look (and it’s very close to Denmark street)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    MAK’S guitars in Rathbone Place is definitely worth a look (and it’s very close to Denmark street)
    And then walk 150 yards north and you’ve got Hobgoblin
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    I would recommend coda acoustic shop. On a1 parking good selection of guitars and the staff are excellent.
    How about Music Street in Huntingdon? I've never used them so I don't know how good they are but the shop is much closer to Peterborough.
    Coincidentally, I met a chap tonight who highly recommends them so I'll try it out.
    sev112 said:
    And then walk 150 yards north and you’ve got Hobgoblin
    and before that - The Bricklayers , ubiquitous MR/FB watering hole sad that Ivors no longer exists
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Bought my Brook from Coda. Excellent selection of instruments so would recommend as per others :)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    bertie said:

and before that - The Bricklayers , ubiquitous MR/FB watering hole sad that Ivors no longer exists
    But it does really. It's a long time since Ivor died but Mak managed the shop brilliantly for many years before it was forced to close. He then resurrected it, providing the same great service under the new name.
    Jimbro66 said:
    bertie said:

But it does really. It's a long time since Ivor died but Mak managed the shop brilliantly for many years before it was forced to close. He then resurrected it, providing the same great service under the new name.
    What new name ? I googled Ivor Mairant and got some place up in Leeds ? not selling particularly great stuff like the original place - I remember going in with Mick @Jalapeno way back (2006 ? ) when I was working up in Cannery Woof - had some great higher end stuff then - a really nice Larry I remember
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    bertie said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    bertie said:

What new name ? I googled Ivor Mairant and got some place up in Leeds ? not selling particularly great stuff like the original place - I remember going in with Mick @Jalapeno way back (2006 ? ) when I was working up in Cannery Woof - had some great higher end stuff then - a really nice Larry I remember
    Mak's guitars

https://www.maksguitars.co.uk/

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    jellyroll said:
    bertie said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    bertie said:

Mak's guitars

https://www.maksguitars.co.uk/

This. In the old Ivor Mairants shop.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback