Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why Are Rotosound Guitar Strings Not So Popular?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Of all the makes of strings I've ever used, Rotos seem to be a good bit longer than any others. It's not a problem, just why?
    I've come across people who use Rotos because of this - they usually play things like big semis with Bigsbys and long necks, eg double-cut Gretsches, where you really need long strings. I've re-strung a few guitars like this where some string brands only have barely enough to reach the tuners on the G and D strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Of all the makes of strings I've ever used, Rotos seem to be a good bit longer than any others. It's not a problem, just why?
    I've come across people who use Rotos because of this - they usually play things like big semis with Bigsbys and long necks, eg double-cut Gretsches, where you really need long strings. I've re-strung a few guitars like this where some string brands only have barely enough to reach the tuners on the G and D strings.
    Ah, wisdom.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    I've bought them a couple of times and they felt kind of rough and dirty so I took them back off again.

I know a few people that swear by them though and they seem to be more popular with bass players.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    because they are shit!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited September 2014
    I've just bought four packs of yellows.
    :-bd
    Previously known as stevebrum
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2014
    Is that an emoticon of an m&m air tossing?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lew said:
    Is that an emoticon of an m&m air tossing?
    Yes but he's using both hands.   :-S
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Maybe he watched the final episode of silicon valley :-S
    maybe red and blue are just out of shot
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I use them and also Ernies .Cant really tell the difference to be honest .I suppose if I cork sniffed instead of just  playing I might .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    To be fair that's like saying you can't tell the difference between Aldi and Lidl.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Lew said:
    To be fair that's like saying you can't tell the difference between Aldi and Lidl.
    That's obvious. I pass one of them on the way to work.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'm never bothered by the name, I just buy the cheapest set in the shop. They could be called Mickey Mouse's arse hair for all I care.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    edited September 2014
    ^ I remember reading an interview with Jeff Beck in Guitar Player around 1980. He was asked what brand of strings he used and his reply was something along the lines of he had no idea, as his tech bought them in bulk from whoever would supply them at the lowest price....
  • I wonder if the string connoisseurs could pick out a set of Rotosound in a blind test?

I suspect not...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited September 2014
    ...the first set of replacaement strings I ever bought were Rotosounds... cos they said to in the NME... circa 1974

Later I went on to EB Super Slinkies and stayed on them as my first choice ever since.... 9s and 10s depending on stuff... mainly cos they said to in the NME...
                                 my old circa 1974 packs
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Gassage said:
    This is at the bottom of my string drawer- dated 1968! Made by Rotosound!
    No, made by British Music Strings in Wales :).

They later distributed various brands including Marlin guitars if I remember right :-O.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    This is at the bottom of my string drawer- dated 1968! Made by Rotosound!
    No, made by British Music Strings in Wales :).

They later distributed various brands including Marlin guitars if I remember right :-O.

I thought they were also Rotosound? My bad.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• @gassage 1968? Really? Judging by the beard and the slightly bloated features, it looks like the photo of EC there is from the 'Clapton is Pissed' era, c. 1975 ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom