heresy I know but ...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 953
    I spent years hoarding pedals when I should have been more attentive to my amp selection. Which is why I'm now playing out of a speaker powered by a potato. 
    What kind of potato? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3243
    I spent years hoarding pedals when I should have been more attentive to my amp selection. Which is why I'm now playing out of a speaker powered by a potato. 
    What kind of potato? 
    Harley Benton oven chip.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 953
    What kind of potato? 
    Harley Benton oven chip.
    Is that an all tuber amp? 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Maris piper for the win
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    What kind of potato? 
    Jacket potato. Helps preserve the fragile harmonics. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Sporky said:
    And that's a perfectly valid way to enjoy guitarering. 
    It’s actually guitareering, or “ guitar erroring” as my speeling checker calls it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3243
    What kind of potato? 
    Jacket potato. Helps preserve the fragile harmonics. 
    With a side of crystal lettuce.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
    tFB Trader
    I've consciously gone for a "worlds most generic rig" with all Boss pedals, a Marshall DSL and a Fender guitar.

Haven't bought anything guitar for ages and it's great. 

However I have started obsessively buying synths  :'(
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited June 2022
    Well said OP! If you never use any instrument/tool/idea in enough depth to reach its limitations you'll never understand what it is that you need that isn't being expressed. The problem is getting to the core of what you want/need if you have abundance -- usually nothing -- you can just replace it with something else that does what you think you want and continue that cycle endlessly creating facsimiles of what other people have done, rather than digging into the root of your personal voice that exists in some form that is more than an amalgamation of everything you've ever heard.

I think at its root style is more often the product of 'deficiencies' in the artist, leading to novel approaches to overcoming limitations. When applied consistently the novel approach(es) become style.

I think the key is to have more options than none, but nowhere near as much as you'd like!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    thanks for your contributions one and all. I have decided that I am, initially at least, just going to explore the possibilities afforded me by the Revival Drive Compact and the Iconoclast by systematically investigating what each of the controls do. I've watched enough of the YouTube videos and read the manuals so sticking to one pickup position I'm going to have an adventure of exploration but a fairly systematic one so that I can learn from the results so they fully become my tools for musical use before I look for anything else. I'll add a little touch of plate reverb from the Immerse to give my experiments a little space and be more pleasing to the ears. Adventures here we come, I'll let you know how it works out :) ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    As a poscript to your last post, cue trumpet music, it's good to really get to know your preferred gear and know how best to use it. Constantly buying selling and rebuying gear only helps the market. I've used vox type amps since 2013 and have pedals that I bought early 2000s. I know my sound and how to get it at various volumes. 

That said what happens when I can't use my amp and the backline is a HRD or the only amp worse a blackstar HT? I have pedals that I know make those amps sound less horrible, I'm aware that people don't like my choice of amps. The point is that I'm familiar with fender and Marshall amps and know what works.you dont always control what gear you use. I played an open mic with an archtop straight into the board not even a di box. Sometimes you use the tools you are given.

Buying other pedals is fun and can open up new sounds. I bought a stone deaf pdf thing last year, I don't like it much. I'll probably keep it for a while and make a decision when I'm sure I won't regret not having it. I had a Blackstone for 10 years before I got rid. I don't regret it. Just don't buy sell buy sell buy etc

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    DavidRees said:
    heresy I know but I am coming to the conclusion that my musical output will not necessarily be enhanced by buying the latest piece of 'must have' gear but by investing some time in learning to properly use all the wonderful toys I already have ... I'll get my coat :) ...
    I reached this stage a good while ago and though it hasn't stopped me buying the occasional pedal, it's certainly slowed me down. In fact, I find myself going through my 'rejects' bin and keep finding I actually like most of them now!

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Burn the witch!!
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    I've consciously gone for a "worlds most generic rig" with all Boss pedals, a Marshall DSL and a Fender guitar.

Haven't bought anything guitar for ages and it's great. 

However I have started obsessively buying synths  :'(
    My antidote to the synth 'problem' was to buy software and hook the main parameters up to midi controller presets...not the same, but cheaper and takes up way less space. (Incidentally, I have a virus kB for sale if you're interested ;))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited June 2022
    I’ve reassembled a small all-Boss and -MXR  board for classic rock and metal sounds. OD3, Super Badass, Phaser, Flanger, DM2W (and tuner).

I did a lot of constructive practice with this setup into the Princeton during 2020/21 lockdown.

Other fancy gear arrived later last year and I’ve definitely been less focused on actual playing since then. 

It’s quite refreshing to get back to a simple(r) board.

Edit: this morning I also moved the ‘fancy’ setup onto a smaller board. Spark Boost, BB Preamp, Empress Trem, Strymon El Cap, with Cioks for power. This board will be for cleaner/rootsy stuff - though the BB Preamp can still get a pretty edgy crunch going with a boost in front of it.