Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Suhr guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• Gassage;344863" said:
    I have to say, the Feline 20th Anni thread had me drooling.
    I look at it longingly far too often, but it's his super strats that I like the best. He's started oil finishing some, too, so they're a nice, stripped back look.

MMM... And oil city ASL pickups. Bitchin'.

I've never seen one in the flesh, nor a Melancon, but suhr are pretty common. I've even played one (it was really nice). It shows how neglected home grown talent is here :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Most of those players have been with ibanex since before suhr really became a top maker. And as stated, forget which famous players uelse what. There custom spec's at cost no consideration, built by the top luithiers in that company. At that level most manufacturers fan turn out pro level kit. Makes like suhr, Prs, Anderson and a few others stillbprovide that level of instrument for Joe public. Brands like ibanex do not.

There decent enough at their price point, but they aren't at the top table.

I dont think guitars in the price range of £1500+ are for Joe public.

So what makes one basswood super strat top table and the other not?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Most of those players have been with ibanex since before suhr really became a top maker. And as stated, forget which famous players uelse what. There custom spec's at cost no consideration, built by the top luithiers in that company. At that level most manufacturers fan turn out pro level kit. Makes like suhr, Prs, Anderson and a few others stillbprovide that level of instrument for Joe public. Brands like ibanex do not.

I think wood quality is one thing- the luthiers will keep the best tonewood for the endorsees- light and resonant.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Most of those players have been with ibanex since before suhr really became a top maker. And as stated, forget which famous players uelse what. There custom spec's at cost no consideration, built by the top luithiers in that company. At that level most manufacturers fan turn out pro level kit. Makes like suhr, Prs, Anderson and a few others stillbprovide that level of instrument for Joe public. Brands like ibanex do not.

I think wood quality is one thing- the luthiers will keep the best tonewood for the endorsees- light and resonant.
    That doesn't really backup the statement that a Suhr is top table and an Ibanez isnt
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    OK- I prob misunderstood.

Fretwork would be one immediate thing I'd cite. Finish, fit, attention to detail, feel.

Put it this way- I've not picked up many Ibanezes I'd ever think WOW gotta have....

• You need to find a j-custom Ibanez.

It'll empty your wallet, mind.

I still think, for that money, I'd rather pay a bloke in the next town to build me one, but I'm not an avid flipper of instruments so...
  • Gassage said:

Fretwork would be one immediate thing I'd cite. Finish, fit, attention to detail, feel.

Put it this way- I've not picked up many Ibanezes I'd ever think WOW gotta have....

where as I have owned several Ibanez guitars and 0 PRS, Suhr or Anderson

How many £2k+ Ibanez guitars have you played?
    edited September 2014
    One- the blue one that's in the Little Guitar Shop.

And I didn't really like it.

However, I'd caveat with one thing- it had a Floyd. Any guitar that has a Floyd is hateful to me. I like 'improved' strats as my benchmark.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wont dismiss any brand of guitar based on a few examples. 
    I personally haven't liked a PRS I have played but that doesn't mean that there aren't some out there that I would love. 

There comes a point in the price range when all guitars become equal on quality, its just preference (radius, pups etc) that puts the magic garnish on for the player. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2014
    I wont dismiss any brand of guitar based on a few examples. 
    I personally haven't liked a PRS I have played but that doesn't mean that there aren't some out there that I would love. 

There comes a point in the price range when all guitars become equal on quality, its just preference (radius, pups etc) that puts the magic garnish on for the player. 
    OK, on the flip side, I've had a lot of great stuff but when I bought my Anderson it changed every perception I had.

It really was that good.

It is to the point I am about to sell my Cunetto as it's so disappointing next to the Andy.

I would agree re PRS until I tried a DGT which really was lovely

• Gassage said:
    Re the top table, I hate to bang on but Melancon would be right up there for my money. Incredible guitars.
    Yep - nearly bought on of those as well.  Its a mates and if he'd got it tpo me to try before the Suhr fell in my lap, it may well have been the one I went for.  Its HSH, Mahogony as well - but again has a Floyd so not really any good for the OP.  You dont see many Mels around.

• Gassage said:

where as I have owned several Ibanez guitars and 0 PRS, Suhr or Anderson

How many £2k+ Ibanez guitars have you played?
    Personally, about 50 - and I own 4 currently and have opened another 3 previously.  Never found an Ibby up to PRS/Suhr/Anderson standards - including 2 J customs Ive tried.  The attention to detail isnt quite the same, nor is the feel.

Horses for courses though - and Im sure for the right person an Ibby is fine.

Id also say, anything under £2k is for "Joe public".  Sure there are many who wont afford that, ad there are lots in the £1k and under range that are great for the money.  A Decent Strat, or a decent LP is £1500+ and many over £2k - and there stock and trade standard instruments.

• Gassage said:

That doesn't really backup the statement that a Suhr is top table and an Ibanez isnt
    All but the absolute top end Ibbys arnt the same quality woods as Suher and the like.  The Workmanship of anything outside the customs arnt as good as even the production Suhr/PRSs - and while the J Customs are good - there not as good IMO as the higher end Suhrs/Andersons/PRSs.  RE-sale is pretty poor on top end Ibby as well in truth. 
    edited September 2014
    Re Melancon's

Here is mine: classic strat tones galore. Amazing unusual finish

When I got it I emailed Gerard about it to find the specs etc and he made me feel as if I'd made his day by buying it. Lovely chap.

• You need to find a j-custom Ibanez.

It'll empty your wallet, mind.

I still think, for that money, I'd rather pay a bloke in the next town to build me one, but I'm not an avid flipper of instruments so...
    Yeh - resale on a custom made british guitar is really poor.  You'd need to be sure to spec it perfectly and never sell.  Even then theres the chance it wont turn out like youd thought.  At least if you make a mistake on a production guitar you will get a decent price if you want to sell -and of course you can try before you buy which you cant do on a custom spec.

Having said that - Ive been really tempted with a Feline and a Jordan Rose before.
  • Bengal burst with HSH on peachguitars looks amazing. Will keep all eye on the website.. And try more guitars on Tuesday in GUITARGUITAR Glasgow.
  • Heres the Mel I nearly bought.  Had the same experience with Gerrard.  EMailed him for specs, and got a return EMail the same day with full specs (which he had to pull), and a story of the build.

Nice bloke
    Ooooo I just went moist.

Fortunately the Floyd cured it.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I tried a few Suhrs recently in GG. I thought the Modern was quite average. Well made but lacked character. The Strat style one I played was brilliant. But if I had 2-3k to spend on a guitar Id get a PRS to be honest.
  • Kind of the point a little.  The Modern is named for its purpose.  Its a neutral sounding guitar - designed to be that way.  At more Modern gain levels the amp and PUs are more important to the sound than the guitar itself - as long as its structurally sound to resonate and sustain.

Like all things - different guitars are designed to do different things.  Just like no amp can do top quality cleans, and crunches, and 80s high gains, and modern ultra gain etc etc, neither can a guitar.  For Character, there are better choices than a Modern - for a versatile modern sounding guitar there arnt many better.  TBH though - a vintage strat has Characture but its not going to be a high gain scream machine.  A classic Les Paul has Characture, but its gonna bark in that classic rock style and not do the strat clean or the high gain stuff - though it will do better.  

I bought my modern for a purpose, but I already have 2 PRSs, a Tele and an Strat.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom