When does BPM increase of a single beat become a sustained note?

What's Hot
By increasing the beat of a single note, at what BPM does it perceivably (to the human ear) become a single note?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6822
    Guess it depend on the age of the recipient- I can hear to about 12k, so that’s a high BPM. Though the brain might fill in gaps at frequencies below that like it does with TV images.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    It depends .... doesn’t it always. If you run a slap back echo at 120ms, and slowly reduce the delay time, there’s a point between 20ms and 70ms where the notes will merge. The actual point depends on not just your ears, but how your brain has learned to process what your ears hear. As the notes merge the sound will change due to phase differences. Since phasing is related to frequency the effect will depend on the frequency content of the note.

Let’s take it a step further. My hearing aids have a latency of 7ms. When I first wore them each time I put a china plate on the table it sounded cracked. This was how my brain interpreted the 7ms delay. After two weeks my brain adjusted to what it was hearing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    It won't just be down to BPM. The chosen noise/timbre will be a factor.

I'd imagine a short, high pitched accent will take a much higher rate, whereas white noise, or a rumbling very low bass note lasting a full measure could become a single note at a lower bpm
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Expanding the subject somewhat, Adam Neely has made some fascinating videos on the relationship between pitch and rhythm and how we percieve them.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Roland said:

Let’s take it a step further. My hearing aids have a latency of 7ms. When I first wore them each time I put a china plate on the table it sounded cracked. This was how my brain interpreted the 7ms delay. After two weeks my brain adjusted to what it was hearing.
    Oh man that must be sooo annyoing. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Thanks for your replies everyone. So there is a perceived moment where a single repeated note is so fast that it is perceived as a single sustained note.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    I would guess that it's probably a bit over 1200bpm, as that'd be 20hz.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3250
    I'm sure I saw a vid about this ages ago where someone used a percussive sample and changed the frequency of repetition to produce a range of pitches.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    There's research into psychoacoustics such as this that fed into the development of the mp3 compression algorithm
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Just think.......if you are an old slow coach and can only play very slooooow single notes it sounds just as fast as the very fastest players  :) lovely
    tae be or not tae be