Any recommendations for a repairer in the vicinity of NW London?

What's Hot
khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
edited June 2022 in Acoustics
I've just been donated an electro-acoustic which needs a bit of work. I can do the cleaning and fingerboard oiling part, but it needs a new nut, saddle & strings and possibly/probably a basic set up. Any recommendations for someone in the vicinity of NW London (Pinner/Harrow/Stanmore kind of area) who could do this?

My knowledge of electrics is pretty limited and for acoustics it's non-existant: any idea on what this is likely to cost? I don't think it's an expensive guitar, and I'm probably going to pass it on to a grand-daughter anyway, so I'm not looking to spend a fortune on it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 244
    Can't help with NW London nor do I know London prices which tend to be higher than those on the provinces. However, here are some guides from someone in Merseyside:

Basic set up £40.00
    New nut between £40.00 and 60.00. A set of D'Addario PB 12's are between £6.00 and 7.00
    Saddle should be a few quid if you're having a set up done anyway.

Maybe someone from the smoke might have better prices?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Tim Marten is said to be very fair on prices. Never used him, though, so can't recommend.

PM sent :) 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 585
    Edgware Music is quite well known around those parts for sales and setups. I’d go have a chat with owner there, I think his name is John. 

• khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
    Thanks folks, much appreciated
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    If you can jump on the tube to Chalk Farm NW1 (Northern Line) Camden Guitars, Chalk Farm Road. Opposite Stables Market.
    I've never used them for repairs myself, buy I know people who do and they seem to be pleased with them.
  • PALPAL Frets: 540
    Hi. You need to work out weather you want to spend money on the guitar so first what brand is the guitar. Does it really need
      a new nut and bridge ( are they missing ) If your guitar isn't an expensive model then learn to do these things for
      yourself. You can buy pre cut nuts and various saddles so it may be within your skill also learning to do this yourself will
      help you in the future. I am not what you would call a "Luthier" but do set ups on guitars and I have many people bringing
      me their guitars for set ups because some so called luthier has set their guitars up but are not happy !
      Don't get me wrong there are some very good guys out there but finding them is the problem.
      I do explain to the people whos guitars I work that I'm not a wizard there is no magic and they are are capable of doing what I do but they prefer not to ! Take your time don't rush you may be pleasantly surprised by what you can achieve ! 
     Good Luck. 
    The nut is broken at one end and the saddle (not bridge) is missing. In the greater scheme of things, it probably doesn't need anything really complex done to it, but I'm hampered by (a) being a novice - I've only been playing for less than 2 years, and only on electric at that, (b) being left-handed and this is a right-handed guitar, so it's not even as though I would be able to make much of a stab at playing it to see whether I'd done a good job or not.

General consensus seems to be that the repair is likely to be <= £100, which I can live with; if it were much more than that I would write it off / pass it onto someone more interested (and more right handed!) to do up.
    Bearing in mind your budget I'd say Tim Marten. Check out his website.

Get a bone nut and saddle fitted. It shouldn't be, £100+.

:)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    Can you take out the saddle and measure it? 

I have a bag of bone saddles on my desk. If your one is the same as mine, I will send you one for free if you like. It'll still require adjusting but could save you a few quid and the luthier a bit of time!

I bought a bag of them a while to practise carving the fretboard radius, I didn't need 10 of them!
    @khaotic ; ; - if the saddle is missing, and you want to accept the kind offer made by @earwighoney, measure the  length of the saddle slot in the bridge.

A little sandpapering is all it should take for a snug fit :) 
    Thanks very much for your offer @earwighoney, that was really kind of you. As it turned out, on looking again, the saddle was actually present after all (thus showing my knowledge of acoustics was even smaller than I originally thought!)

It's now in for repair with John @ Edgewaremusic
    ... and did a very nice job (inasmuch as I can tell with an upside-down guitar) for only £45. Very pleased.