SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: 1977 Shigemitsu Sugiyama hand-built Giannini Brazilian Rosewood Concert Classical

danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
edited August 2022 in Acoustics £
For sale, 1977 Giannini Concert guitar, hand built by master luthier Shigemitsu Sugiyama for Giannini in Brazil.

sugiyama-01sugiyama-02 sugiyama-03 sugiyama-04 sugiyama-05 sugiyama-06

His instruments are played by some of the most important names of the Brazilian MPB scene, Chico Buarque, Paulinho da Viola, Toquinho. His wiki is in Portuguese but can be translated. Wiki

Should this guitar have his label inside and not Giannini’s it would be a £3000-5000 instrument. Given it was made by him for Giannini it’s fetches a bit less. There was a 2021 sale confirmed at R$12.000 (£1950).Screenshot-2022-06-28-at-14-31-10

Checking the reference, http://www.japao100.com.br/perfil/29/, Sugiyama starts working at Giannini in 1974 and leaves some years later due to an economic crisis in Brazil.  Brazil was experiencing an ‘economic miracle’ through 1973 and hits the wall in 1979 with an economic crisis lasting through the mid 80s.

Having spoken to a collector in Brazil, this one is likely one of the earliest he built as he has mostly come across 1978 and 1979 builds. 

From a discussion here: https://www.contrabaixobr.com/t37515-baixo-finch-precision-ano-madeiras-catalogo

“Giannini, for example, you will never find, not long ago, a guitar at the height of a Giannini AWNC4, constructed by famed Luthier Shigemitsu Suguiyama”

From a post on a Giannini blog about ten years ago, referencing a discussion with Sugiyama himself. http://gianniniguitars.blogspot.com/2011/02/violao-giannini-awnc4-fabricado-pelo-sr.html?m=1

“I recently acquired it. Before, however, I had the opportunity to play in at least three Sugiyamas: an ESJ-66, an EX-66 and a GT-65 (all cedar). The fact is that I feel in them the same characteristics regarding the sustain and depth of the sound. These pine ones shine more. Cedar ones are softer and more sparkling. When I asked about the AWNC 4, Sugiyama told me they were his own, although made in a factory.”

It also has a few Sugiyama ‘signatures’, the Japanese house headstock shape and laminate neck construction. 

It’s cedar topped with solid Brazilian rosewood back, sides and fretboard. Comes in what is likely its factory original, Japanese made hard shell case as it was a very high-end instrument in their lineup at the time. It’s in very clean overall condition with some wear on the fretboard from over 40 years of playing. The action is set at 4mm on the high E at 12th fret and 4.25mm at low E at 12th fret (this may sound high if you are used to steel stringed guitars but is par for the course for a Concert classical). It has a lovely rich and shimmery tone with a very powerful bottom end if needed.

Demo video below, filmed and played by a friend

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments