NGD: Yamaha LA-8

What's Hot
GomersGomers Frets: 17
My somewhat worrying obsession with Yamaha acoustics continues with the delivery of this LA-8 today.

I owned one of these about 7 years ago , it was nice but wasn’t ‘special’. Incidentally, that particular guitar recently came up for sale here in the UK at around twice what I sold it for.

Since then I’ve acquired my LL-500 which is VERY special. So when I saw this LA-8 online about a week ago at a fair price, the irrational part of my brain started working. As of yesterday, nobody had snapped it up so I took a punt on it thinking I’d probably be able to move it on if this one turned out to be a bit ‘meh’ too.

It arrived today and I’m happy to report that it’s quite a bit better than the previous one but not without some minor issues.

It sounds ace, set up is perfect and playability is buttery. So all good there. Issues - there was previously a pick up installed although this now is only an endpin Jack and a bare ended cable flapping about inside. Think I’ll go for a K&K pure mini.

The finish on the laminated Rosewood back and sides is showing some ‘cloudiness’ in places, like condensation that doesn’t wipe off but is definitely a defect in the finish.

Lastly, can somebody tell me what the object inside the guitar is (2nd photo) please ? I’ve no idea, is it a cleat, a mounting for a battery ? I’ve haven’t seen anything like it so am a bit stumped. Can’t see any evidence of cracks so am scratching my head a bit.

It’s a good size too, a very slightly scaled down version of the LL body shape, a smidge less width and body depth.

It’s a slightly rough old dog and I’m still trying to figure out the year from the s/n, either ‘95 or 2005 but overall I’m pretty chuffed with it.

And finally.....Yay, my tFB subscription appears to be letting me post pics astonished 
2008 Martin 000-15
 2011 Yamaha LL6T
2004 Yamaha LL-500
 Quote 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
2008 Martin 000-15
 2004 Yamaha LL-500
1995 Yamaha LA-8
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Good lad! Nice guitar and nice pics.

Never owned a Yamnie so no idea what that is in the second pic, sorry. But someone else here will. 

Meanwhile, enjoy your new guitar :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7292
    Beautiful guitar.  As to the small block inside, it looks as though it has been glued onto the back and has the remnants of two screw holes where something has been mounted.  It looks as though somebody has used a felt-tip pen on the bare wood to make it less visible, but has gone around whatever used to be mounted on it.  It would be overkill to use a block of wood that big with a cable clip to hold the transducer wires,but you never know.  Perhaps somebody had a battery for a preamp mounted on the block because they didn't want to cut a hole in the side for a battery compartment and used one of those combined end-pin/jack socket affairs with the integrated small profile preamp build into the extended cylindrical shape.  It looks as though it's just soft pine, so somebody with small hands that is used to using a chisel could probably remove it for you.

By the way, is there a Shetland Pony standing on the beige velour footstool/chaise longue showing in the 3rd photo down?
  • GomersGomers Frets: 17
    My photos have disappeared !
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Photos are still there, what a lovely looking guitar 
    BillDL said:

By the way, is there a Shetland Pony standing on the beige velour footstool/chaise longue showing in the 3rd photo down?
    LOL !  A hoof (previous owner unknown) that my dog has abandoned for later  :o
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    Gomers said:

Lastly, can somebody tell me what the object inside the guitar is (2nd photo) please ? I’ve no idea, is it a cleat, a mounting for a battery ? I’ve haven’t seen anything like it so am a bit stumped. Can’t see any evidence of cracks so am scratching my head a bit.
    It looks like a DIY mounting block for a cable retainer, to do with the removed pickup - it looks too small for a battery clip. Shouldn't be too difficult to remove, although cleaning off the (what looks like) cyano glue might be difficult.

Shame about the nasty strap button fitting too, although you could at least fix it by having the heel cap replaced.

Otherwise, nice-looking guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    edited July 2022
    Nice looking guitar. I'd certainly pick it off a shop wall to try it.

BillDL summed up your query about the foreign body.
    Defo a wood block for mounting something, but removal attempts could pull strips off the back and it's right next to a brace..... s
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    The block looks like a DIY mount for an internal mic - at least that's how it looks to  me.

Nice box. Yammie are well under rated in my view.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the comments re the unidentified item, will have a poke round when I restring it to see if there's any moving it, otherwise will probably leave it alone.

Going to leave the heel button where it is for now too.  The cloudy finish on the B&S is intriguing, unfortunately it's quite difficult to photograph.

There's tons of tone in it though, so much better than the one I used to own which seemed a bit dull sounding.  This one appears extremely resonant with loads of sustain and lush overtones and although of very similar build to my LL-500 (albeit laminated back and sides), they sound very distinct from each other.

I assume photos can still be seen, wonder why I can't see them now  :/  
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    The cloudiness could be oil from the underlying wood. I had that on a quite expensive set of loudspeakers veneered in ebony and that was the diagnosis (replaced under warranty thankfully).

It might also be damp, in which case, leave it alone and it should eventually go away on its own.
    Yes, the pics are still there :) 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1865
    What is the fretboard neck like for width(ooerr missus!) and shape? I found my Yamaha APX 3 quarter sized a bit too thin for comfort.
    What is the fretboard neck like for width(ooerr missus!) and shape? I found my Yamaha APX 3 quarter sized a bit too thin for comfort.
    Its 1"11/16 nut width, the profile though is a bit fuller than my previous LA-8 which is why I'm getting on with the neck as well as I am, the previous one felt a lot thinner to me.  The LL-500 by contrast feels slightly more slim but with a hint of V.

I've become very used to 1"11/16 nut width over the past few months, think it suits me best.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    @Gomers ; - 1 11/16 is my favourite nut width. Give me 1 3/4 and a soft V and I can still gig with it but I'm sort of out of my comfort zone :) 
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Mellish said:
    @Gomers ; - 1 11/16 is my favourite nut width. Give me 1 3/4 and a soft V and I can still gig with it but I'm sort of out of my comfort zone :) 
    Weird as I probably am, but nut width has never bothered me too much. It's a guitar, I play the guitar, it takes a few seconds to adjust ( and I play what could be describe as finger style nearly all the time, even though I spent most of my life without hearing the term finger style  :) ). It's a tiny adjustment to make. 
    @artiebear ; - with a slim C/D it would be a different story, even with a 1 3/4. But introduce a soft V to the mix and I start to not struggle but wish there was less wood :) 
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Mellish said:
    @artiebear ; - with a slim C/D it would be a different story, even with a 1 3/4. But introduce a soft V to the mix and I start to not struggle but wish there was less wood  
    There is a point where, for a bloke of limited size, a neck can be too much for certain idiosyncratic stretches and chords  :) As far as nut width etc goes, I just grimace more and reach  =)
    I'm two days in now, this thing is absolutely stellar !  Can't quite get my head round it, it's dangerously close to the LL-500 and has a better neck for me.  I know Yamaha are known for their consistency but this LA-8 is in a different league to the one I owned some years ago.  Seriously, mind....blown ! =)

Going to try some John Pearse 80/20s on it when they get here.  
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    edited July 2022
    John Pearse eh? 

My experience has been bad - dead straight out of the box. But, tbf to JP, that may have been the string supplier, not him. 

Let us know what you think when you try `em   
    Mellish said:
    John Pearse eh? 

My experience has been bad - dead straight out of the box. But, tbf to JP, that may have been the string supplier, not him. 

Let us know what you think when you try `em   
    Noted buddy, thanks.  Have tried JP PBs once before and they were fine.  A slightly dead sound might not be a bad thing, these rosewood Yamaha’s are on the brighter side, great clarity.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8