Anyone using backing tracks?

What's Hot
uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 309
I'm getting a set together with a singer for pub gigs and the like. We'll be using backing tracks, the best resource I've found is Karaoke Version as you can choose the key and what instruments to include but if anybody else had any recommendations I'd be all ears.

What I am unsure about though is the best way to play back those tracks. Should I be looking at getting a tablet with an external audio interface? Or a dedicated audio player of some description? I don't really want to be relying on something with a stereo minijack output. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3337
    We use cheap laptops and external hard drives. Cheap and cheerful to have a back up then. Our singer has most tracks with guitar and vocals missing so us singing and playing makes the full band. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 309
    We use cheap laptops and external hard drives. Cheap and cheerful to have a back up then. Our singer has most tracks with guitar and vocals missing so us singing and playing makes the full band. 
    Yes I had thought of using a laptop, but was thinking would need an audio interface too and was wondering if it might be overkill for just playing some stereo audio files? Also there was the thought of having to troubleshoot it if something went awry which is definitely possible with a cheap laptop!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Karaoke version is the one I use.      
    For play back I use an old phone an connect to the desk via the headphone socket.   A tablet might be easier to see what you’re doing though. 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1656
    I use a tablet too, jack splitter into a di box. 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I use a tablet too, jack splitter into a di box. 
    Hadn't thought of that. For some reason having a DI box between the playback device and the desk would make me feel better about using a stereo minijack output!
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1656
    One thing I hadn't considered is that many tablet jacks are more than a headphone socket, and as such can carry hum and buzz.. A splitter to separate the mic and the headphones element helps with this, as does the ground hum switch on my di box. 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• I’ve used a Digitech Jammam Stereo for years. Footswitching the tracks is much more pro in my opinion. You can queue up the next track while the first is playing. The software is ok, nothing great but once loaded the system is pretty bomb proof...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’ve used a Digitech Jammam Stereo for years. Footswitching the tracks is much more pro in my opinion. You can queue up the next track while the first is playing. The software is ok, nothing great but once loaded the system is pretty bomb proof...
    Well that's certainly one option I hadn't considered! 
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 849
    I also have a Digitech Jamman Stereo and agree with @firepaulmusic that it's robust. It took me a while to get my head around its range of options but it's all I need. There will be newer, more techy designs of kit but I don't feel the need to replace it.
  • JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 118
    I used a basic mp3 player for years, then an Ipod, for better screen control and to play wav files. (I also used Karaoke Version for several tracks, excellent value.) Mind you I was gigging as a (seated) solo instrumentalist with PA mixer by my side so it was a very simple setup.   The playback never let me down, though one of my busking amps (Roland Cube Street EX) did on several occasions.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7294
    We're doing our first gig on sat with our backing tracks setup. We have a rack containing 16 channels of audio interface, all our instruments are mic'ed into the audio interface then taken back out as outputs to a behringer x-air mixer. This lets us record everything and also control our own IEM mixes (mono only sadly). We've been using the setup in practice for about 3 years but this will be the first time bringing it out lve.

The laptop plays back a single mono backing track with all the synths and wubs and whatnot and then we get another track with the click that only goes to the ears.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    While I can see the appeal of using a foot switch, particularly for a solo act, I don't mind starting the backing tracks myself as the singer is the frontman. Think I'm leaning towards an iPad with a PreSonus AudioBox iOne at the moment.

@PolarityMan that is quite impressive, unfortunately we haven't even practised 3 hours yet and the setup will be very basic for now! Hadn't thought about the clicks, I guess the audience will hear them too as we're just using a wedge for monitoring and I have a combo which I'll probably use with an IR pedal.