RIP Manny Charlton

What's Hot
Nazareth guitarist. I'll be wearing my Hair of the dog t shirt today......Love Hurts.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Sad news. Nazareth were one of the first big gigs I ever went to, fond memory. 
    There was something on twitter not long ago about great Scottish bands and I said Nazareth met by a response of who? Yet they were one of the most successful Scottish bands in the US market, an obvious influence on Guns and Roses (Manny produced their early demos) and others as well as mainstays of the British rock scene. 
    RIP

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7285
    I was growing up overseas when Nazareth was peaking and we couldn't get the current music on LP unless somebody had been out of the country and returned with some.  The band would never have come and played where I lived either, so I missed out a lot on concerts that many people being brought up in the UK were able to attend.  I remember when I first heard some Nazareth songs on the radio and was really impressed by their music, and when my older brother was able to lay his hands on two of their albums we played them constantly.

I think Vigilante Man was one of my first exposures to bottleneck slide, or at least probably the first time I knew how the sound was being made, and that song has stayed with me as one of their best.  Manny's slinky sublime playing on that, juxtaposed against Dan McCafferty's "small valve amp on the edge of breakup" voice and the thump of the bass are perferct.
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    "I think Vigilante Man was one of my first exposures to bottleneck slide, or at least probably the first time I knew how the sound was being made, and that song has stayed with me as one of their best.  Manny's slinky sublime playing on that, juxtaposed against Dan McCafferty's "small valve amp on the edge of breakup" voice and the thump of the bass are perfect."
    This
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Yep ... great band indeed ... Dan's gravel tones and the classic rock sound and look have also stayed with me since my youth.

Didn't know about the GnR connection but I'm not surprised ... proppa rockers from the era know/knew what worked best for a vibe that audiences wanted. 

Flags at half-mast in Dunfermline I'm guessing and a few extra 'hauf'n haufs' to be consumed today :bawling: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22954
    I saw this news last night.  To be honest, they were always a band I wanted to like - great album covers! - but could never get into.  Sorry to hear he's gone though.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11818
    I loved Nazareth.  Manny's slide playing was bloody brilliant - Woke Up This Morning, Bad Bad Boy... just fab.  And their cover of Joni Mitchell's This Flight Tonight is one of THE great covers.

RIP Manny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    What a band! RIP
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1440
    edited June 2023
    He went on and had a band called the Manny Charlton Band, They played in the Kelty Club circa 1995/6, I done the lights for them and went to some weird house party afterwards..If memory serves...The singer was called Neil...
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1586
    Philly_Q said:
    I saw this news last night.  To be honest, they were always a band I wanted to like - great album covers! - but could never get into.  Sorry to hear he's gone though.

Yeah - great LP covers indeed! Always loved the riff on Razzamanaz.
    Shall break out the Greatest Hits album tonight,

RIP Manny.