Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So, I played a McIlroy...

What's Hot

Comments

• jellyroll said:
    Out of curiosity, do Lowden/McIlroy owners all play finger style? Anybody flatpick/strum one of these "Irish" guitars?
    They work very well indeed with a flatpick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyroll said:
    Out of curiosity, do Lowden/McIlroy owners all play finger style? Anybody flatpick/strum one of these "Irish" guitars?
    They work very well indeed with a flatpick.
    Thanks Malcom. I may need to investigate further….
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyroll said:
    I

Richard Thompson belts out some amazing rhythm work on his Lowden model.
  • Yeah, my old band mate would be strumming on his Lowden for a good 8-10 songs in a noisy pub on any given night. Sounded great. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • tomjax said:
    jellyroll said:
    I

Richard Thompson belts out some amazing rhythm work on his Lowden model.
    Yes he does. He has a new live "acoustic trio" album out, actually recorded a couple of decades ago, called "Live From Honolulu" that showcases his acoustic work beautifully. RT on acoustic, playing with a flatpick and three fingers, Danny Thompson on double bass (a masterclass) and Michael Jerome on cajon/percussion. Some fantastic performances of great songs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I strum my Avalon and I will again when it comes back from being fettled.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    jellyroll said:
    Ed Sheeran? Seems to get to strum quite a lot!
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    jellyroll said:
    Driving rhythm is a crucial part of the folk scene. So grab a plectrum and jump in I say
  • Would love to try a McIlroy. 
    Lowden neck less chunky so easier to play than Avalon but Avalon sounds better imo. McIlroy in videos sounds great - wonder if they also have big C-shaped necks like Avalon?
    Lowden neck less chunky so easier to play than Avalon but Avalon sounds better imo. McIlroy in videos sounds great - wonder if they also have big C-shaped necks like Avalon?

I have an A30.  They don't have chubby necks. They're quite slim, with a slight V profile.
    I have found McIlroy necks to be slimmer than Lowden, but as both brands are hand carved they vary. Both are too slim and narrow for me.
  • I should have said my preference is for both non-chunky (not C-shaped baseball neck) and wide (for fingerstyle). Love to try one. One day..
  • The two Avalons I've owned have had pretty slim necks, to me at least, especially the A200 I bought in 2005. I still have it, and all I do is strum it. (I used to use it exclusively for fingerpicking, but I've lost that ability through lack of use.) It sounds really quite bright.

The L2-20 I had was a lovely, warm sounding guitar, but I sold that due to cashflow issues. It was a thing of true beauty, and it had a pretty slim neck, too.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited September 2022
    Maybe I've got puny hands lol
    @TheOtherDennis what all acoustics do you have?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe I've got puny hands lol
    @TheOtherDennis what all acoustics do you have?
    I have two I made myself (which really do have baseball bat necks, because I'm too scared to shave them any thinner in case they break on me), my old Avalon A-200CE and a L'Arrivee OM-02 that I was trying to sell because I needed the money, and I didn't really play it much. But I've been playing it more recently, on the basis that I may as well, as it looks like I'm keeping it after all.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • Wow amazing!! 
    Those OM-O2s are great tbh
  • I saw from your thread the other week you have an OM-03 Anniversary, but you also say you have an Avalon - which one? 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited September 2022
    L2-320
    Just got back from hols, strummed it and NO WAY will I sell it. Think it's the best guitar I've got. Might just need to shave a little off the saddle - neck rounder than the Larrivee but has a real deep bass to it. Sublime.
  • Very nice, I remember your thread now, it's a lovely guitar, that
  • I've fallen into the trap of obsessing more about the guitars than the music. Need to get out of that mindset. Thanks - it's a cracker :)