Did something bloody stupid...open pore finish on an acoustic..... car polish.... white stains.....

fatherchewielewiefatherchewielewie Frets: 46
edited July 2022 in Acoustics
The top was fiinshed but unpolished so i took to  it with the Poorboys Pro Polish (Silicone-free)..... did a great job on it. So one day I'm giving the top another polish and without thinking, i got stuck into the unfinished open-pore back and sides. Looked great..... for about two days. Then the white stains/polish/pumice build-up appeared. Ffs..... what an idiot i was. I KNEW that this happens but it went right out of my head.

Tried quite a number of things..... naptha,70% alcohol hand sanitiser, Brasso (I willing to try anything lol), washing up liquid, Turps, white spirit, heat from an iron along with a cloth and some tinfoil to protect the iron to melt and soak up the dried polish, a pencil eraser.... but nichts. Eventually tried raw Linseed oil..... and it bloody near enough worked...... its about 98% better than it was.Not perfect but a damn sight better than it was. Rubbed in it with a cloth and worked into the grain with an old toothbrush then wiped it off.

Just thought I'd post about in case anyone else was as dim as i was and didn't manage to find a solution; oil for wood that won't go rancid seems to be the answer.

The guitar isn't one I'm particularly precious about; its an Eastman E1D that I bought to kick around my local but those white marks bugged the tits off me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    I always thought Naptha was the way to clear that residue ? Something in the dusty recesses of what’s left of my mind 
  • sweepy said:
    I always thought Naptha was the way to clear that residue ? Something in the dusty recesses of what’s left of my mind 

Nope..... great for other stuff but useless for this sort of thing.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited July 2022
    Try Virtuoso Cleaner (not the Polish).

It removed an ugly, dark stain caused by forearm sweat on the top of a Martin D-35.

EDIT: if you have trouble finding it, contact Steve Curtis at the Guitar Repair Workshop in Salford. He'll sell you a bottle and mail it if you can't get there. 
  • Cheers but that Poorboys did the same job for me on the forearm cut on a nitro-finished muttstrat and was quite cheap for a near half litre of it. And the shine is very durable..... I've had it in the pub a lot and it seems to actually to resist finger prints and the like.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @fatherchewielewie ; - I somehow missed the bit about you more or less removed the dried polish.

Well done mate :) 
  • Mellish said:
    @fatherchewielewie ; - I somehow missed the bit about you more or less removed the dried polish.

Well done mate :) 

Aaah..... no sweat, Mellish...... cheers, man:)