chord vocabulary

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    kin said:
    @Greatape , thanks for the suggestions.

'learn to play through key in position', do you mean being able to play through the chosen key while remaining in one area of the neck?

If so, that's the route I'm taking, learning the triad shapes and inversions and trying to play with an economy of movement.

Though your suggestion of learning in that particular order is probably a good idea as i do tend to flit about a bit at present.

Its been a fun and rewarding path so far, much more enthusiastic about playing than i have been for years.

Yep. But definitely definitively learn along the neck first.. it's best (I think) to go up as near to 12th fret as you can and then go back to the low end if the next chord goes past it. At least at first.. do this for each inversion type. Strummed and arpeggiated.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1338
    kin said:

My question is, how large a chord vocabulary is needed to get by playing most run of the mill pop/rock/country and blues tunes?

major, minor triads... (infrequently 6ths), 7ths , James Brown style 9ths... sus 4 and 2s (been using those a lot recently).

I use a dom 13th in one tune... that's as far out there as I get... I use a half diminished in another tune.

Augmented nope. 
    Haven't use 11ths for a while...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Here's a radical idea - have a guitar lesson!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Had some valuable lessons given by some of the posts above yours, Thanks for your advice too!
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    Barney said:
    kin said:
    Thanks for your suggestions and comments everyone.
     Think I'll leave the Ted Greene book for now though :)

Those mentioning Triads, that is exactly the route I'm finding most rewarding. More work on Inversions and finding the different triad shapes all over the neck will be next.

Who would of thought that playing in key, learning the notes on the fretboard and the connection between scale and chords would prove useful, not me for forty bleeding years sadly.

The triads are really handy for lead work after you learn them start looking at some triad pairs ....they will work for lead stuff as well ....I think a lot of people turn Thier noses up at triads thinking they learned them ages ago ...but to learn them on different string groups all over the neck can be very rewarding for lts of things 
    People discount them because they don't understand the conceptual difference between 'basics' and fundamentals. Larry Carlton is a great example of someone deep into triads. 

Carol Kaye's views on chords Vs scales are instructive. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom