Buying A Synth

What's Hot
Hey, all - I think I know the answer to this before I post, but I'd like some views that I can ignore.

=) 

I'm a fairly strong guitar player, and not a half bad bassist.  I like to play keyboards, and when I say that I use my trusty M-Audio Keystayion 49 to trigger samples in my DAW, play pads, occasionally some complex stuff.

I've been taking it more seriously of late - I can now play a decent enough version of Imagine with limited mistakes - but I'm being hampered by the Keystation I think - it's old, and the keys are naff.

Anyway, that's the justification.

The wife has agreed to release some of the funds that I've earned and I was thinking of buying a Yamaha MX88 - something that's not wildly expensive, but get's me into the range of very decent piano/synth gear.

Problem is, I look at some of the YouTube reviews and demos, and see absolutely frickin' awesome pianists demoing them, and I think I'm wasting my money...

Whaddaya think?  I could double the money and buy the Ibanez AZ Prestige I'm currently lusting after, but that's just another guitar...
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7157
    If you really want piano sounds, then it is probably a decent buy. Though you can pick up older Piano/Synth models for a lot less with weighted keys.

I saw a Korg Trinity Pro 88 note for £450 on eBay in London as an example

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    If you want to lpay piano - you need the weighted keys.

The MX88 is OK for that, but honestly have a look at the Roland Juno DS88 - its got more synth stuff and still a decent piano and weighted board.     If you JUST need piano, Id through the RD88 into the mix as well.   It does that a little better for similar price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.
    Mark de Manbey

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33805
    I have a Korg Krome 88 that I'd do a lot cheaper than an MX88.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3684
    edited July 2022
    I have a big 88 key Fatar master keyboard and a Clavinova piano but they are too much to take out but got the real piano feel.

I use a Roland JunoDS.. huge range of really useful tones, arpeggiator, sample player (from usb sticks!) and a vocoder.  The 88 has weighted keys at the cost of much more physical weight.  I use the 76. Can pick it up with two fingers and it will work on batteries if power fails or gets kicked out on stage.

The Korg Kross and Yamaha MX were the other contenders but the Roland won on mix of giggable and useful features and ease of use.

If i did not have two weighted 88 key alternatives, the JunoDS88 would be my choice without spending serious money.  Nice bit of kit.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Are you planning to gig it?

If not get a weighted controller and a copy of PianoTeq for your laptop.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Thanks for all the helpful advice.

My Roland Juno DS arrived this morning, and I couldn't be happier - my playing has immediately started on an upward trajectory, the key action and the sounds are amazing.  Sounds great on headphones, but killer into my Fender Rumble 500 bass amp!
    Mark de Manbey

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom