Pick effects

What's Hot
Some time ago, I went through a lot of picks to find the ones that suited the sound I thought I wanted. I quite liked the red Jazz III but they are a bit small and my big fingers would get in the way if the pick slipped any - which happens a lot as I'm naturally clumsy.

I read an article on Acoustic Guitar website about picks and I thought, I'll give this exercise another try. I came across the packet of the red Jazz III's and hiding in the back was a black Jazz III XL. So I gave it a go. To say I was gob smacked would be an understatement. I normally play with the Dunlop .88 or 1.14 nylon picks and I like them but not half as much as I like this Jazz III XL. I assume it's XL as it's a bit bigger than the red ones.

The sound I get with my technique is smooth, tuneful and so, so sexy. Much better then anything else I've tried. Maybe someone else has a recommendation to make but it would seem I've reached a pick Nirvanah. Lucky me!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I tried the Dunlop Flex 1.14 triangles off the back of Carl Miner saying he uses them. I really like them. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Dunlop Ultex are larger  than teardrop picks. I find 'em easier to hold :) 
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 120
    jellyroll said:
    I tried the Dunlop Flex 1.14 triangles off the back of Carl Miner saying he uses them. I really like them. 
    That makes at least two of us. He should be on commission.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 238
    You're not wrong Mick. I think the choice of pick - design, material & thickness - makes as much difference to the sound as string choice.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    It’s interesting that pick threads are quite rare on this forum and when they do appear, they attract only a small number of comments. The AGF has a gazzillion pick threads, usually with lots of comments (90% of which are people eulogising over Blue Chips).  
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5520
    Well, they are a little bit weird over there. :)

That aside, I suggest two possible explanations:

(1) This place is mostly populated by electric players. Picks matter on electric, sure, but possibly not as much as they do on acoustic.

(2) Among those of us who do play acoustic here, there are probably (2a) more fingerstyle players, and (2b) nowhere near as many bluegrass players. Bluegrass is a bit of a special case among musical genres insofar as it is usually played unamplified and in groups, typically including one or more banjo players. So you need to play really loud. Doing that and still getting decent tone strikes me as needing the best pick you can possibly get.

(3) Or, just possibly, it only needed some bugger to jump in and start the fashion.