Fussy about strings

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5481
edited July 2022 in Acoustics
Fussy about strings. Some are, some aren't. No, I don't mean players, I mean guitars. (Though I'm sure it's true of players too.)

Example: I've had 15 sets of strings on the cedar-top dreadnought since I started my string journal, and only gave one of them a really bad review, and even then I found a few nice things to say. I've had 17 sets on the Huon Pine Angel in that same period and disliked at least five of them (admittedly, I have tried a few of my wackiest string ideas out on the poor little thing). The rosewood Messiah is fussier about strings, and the Guild even more so. 

I daresay we all accept the idea that different guitars get on well with different strings. But I'm starting to think that some guitars are easy-going by nature and will made a decent sort of sound regardless of the strings you strap them up with (OK, within reason), while others are more demanding.

I might even go further and suppose that this has a lot to do with treble response. The Messiah,  the Angel and the Guild all have a lot of top end, and all three are string-fussy. Coincidence? 

Another thought: maybe it is small guitars that are fussier. My two dreadnoughts and the WA May (which is almost dreadnought size) seem to be the most forgiving.

My point? Nothing really. Just thinking aloud. As always, your thoughts are welcome.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    I put NewTone Reduced Tension 11s on my acoustic and it sounded so much better than the previous Martin strings I’d always used 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    This Dove is!

It's made up its mind that Elixir, Rotosound, John Pearse, are out, but it likes D'Addario EJ11, EJ16 and XT :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    @Tannin Following my earlier post about stringing the Flambeau, I think you're right - if the guitar sounds good, why not stick with the strings in use.
    Last time I re-strung it I tried Newtone Heritage 12s and texted a friend saying it was the best I'd heard it sound.
    Will probably put some D'addario 11s on as I have a packet lying around, but will stick to the Newtones after that.

The Lowden has always had Elixir 12s and the reason is, it sounds so good. Why look further.
     =) 

• moremore Frets: 230
    edited July 2022

At the simplest level, you either like a set of strings or you don’t. The reason why strings sound different on different instruments is complex, and to give a detailed answer is beyond most people’s interest. A string on its own, when energised, will generate sufficient energy , but lack the surface area to create the movement of air , so we can hear it. So it is attached it to something that will move the air. The same note will sound very different on different instruments. Steel strung guitars use the same stings as used on pianos. For acoustic instruments, it is called a coupled system. That is to say, every component is responsible for the end result , sound . That includes fingernails , picks, bridges , soundboards , length of sting and a long list of other things . The way strings vibrate is also complex.Strings vibrate in different ways and produce a range of different sounds . My strings try to give a balance of gauge and tension across the entire set , when tuned to a specific tuning . What happens beyond the bridge is out of any string maker’s control.  

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 753
    edited August 2022
    Yeh. Once you've chosen or fortuitously come across an acoustic that's good for you, strings have to be pretty near the top of the list of things that optimise tone and playability. Second only to action probably. Choosing the type, gauge, brand, longevity. Also its fun to look at what strings are out there over time. Other changes to bridge saddles, bridge pins, tuners, plectrum, picks, hand position are important but less important than string experimentation imho. Strings discernibly alter tone to anyone's ear. And Mellish is right, guitars choose their own strings sometimes.

I won't make my usually plea for everyone to try Monels at least once on any acoustic. Oops. Just did!

:-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    ^^^^^^ Wot he said, Monels are really good on any  guitar I've put them on. Not mellow but interesting and quite loud.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 753
    ^^^^^^ Wot he said, Monels are really good on any  guitar I've put them on. Not mellow but interesting and quite loud.
    And they last a lot longer. So cheaper!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427

Monels are really good on any  guitar I've put them on. Not mellow but interesting and quite loud.
    My Gibson Dove absolutely hated them, shockingly bad. Lifeless and one-dimensional.

The same strings did sound quite good when I put them on a small-bodied all-mahogany guitar though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Out of the 10 or so times I've tried Monels, I've disliked them intensely 9 times and found them ok-ish once. I find them cold, tinny, metallic sounding. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    currently very impressed with Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum Bronze ...
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1590
    I do think it depends what guitar they go on. Waterloo all hog loved them but they sounded bloody awful on an old Kalamazoo kg11.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    ICBM said:

Monels are really good on any  guitar I've put them on. Not mellow but interesting and quite loud.
    My Gibson Dove absolutely hated them, shockingly bad. Lifeless and one-dimensional.

The same strings did sound quite good when I put them on a small-bodied all-mahogany guitar though.
    Am I alone in noticing Monels aren't the loudest strings out there? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    earwighoney said:

I didn't notice them being much quieter than the PB I normally use (maybe a little), but they were much less complex-sounding and just really not very good.

I put them on the mahogany 00 mostly because I wanted to use it with a magnetic pickup, and it sounded better but still not quite as good acoustically as it did with PB.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @ICBM ; - I got a set of D'Addario Nickel Bronze, slung 'em on my Dove and they sound great.

Got them from Strings Direct mate. Same experience as you with two sets I bought elsewhere :) 
  • ICBM said:

Does your username have anything to do with that?