Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
edited July 2022 in FX

Finally had a chance to plug it in and have a play. At first I thought it was disappointingly lacking in treble, then saw in the manual that there is a treble trim pot inside - I didn't have one of those little jewellers screwdrivers but managed to get the end of an oversized crosshead screwdriver in there and tweak it up a bit and all was well on that front. 

The EQ control (the middle one) is flat when fully clockwise and that's how it sounds nicest to me right now. 

The Brown 'channel' is the lower gain of the 2 and is a really nice full-range sound - no honk or wild emphasis anywhere (gets a little more mids as the gain goes up but nothing TS-like or anything like that) 

The Red mode has a control that works from a minimum gain setting (still a nice amount) at noon then increases gain as you turn it away from noon - to clockwise it's a regular gain control, but anti-clockwise it has a kind of resonance effect that's pretty cool. 

Imagine a kind of "cocked wah effect with its mix turned down to about 30%" - it's like that - it's not like a straight filter effect, it kind of makes your ear go 'eh, wassat?' - I suspect it'd make a gainy sound stand out a bit in a live setting - never come across anything like it, but it's still fairly subtle (at home volume anyway) 

It's really responsive to the volume knob, which I like.

I wonder if I can get it on vertically instead of the Timmy? (should have tried that earlier) 

Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds like you are enjoying it - good stuff
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    Yeah, cracking pedal. I actually didn't realise it has a trimpot inside - I bought one off here and liked it as-is so that's how it stayed. I agree it's best with the centre knob fully up. They also say it works best with the guitar connected directly to the input as well, but ymmv
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    There's a gain trim and a treble trim - I faffed with the gain trim but need to do that again as no idea where I ended leaving it lol 

Yep I'd read about it going first so it is (and if I did put it on the board I'd put it after the true-bypass tuner probably) 
    Red ones are better. 
    I don’t know what was going on on with my ears the other day but I’ve ended up with that treble trimmer up way too far - and now I can’t find my tiny screwdriver! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    that experience is why i sold mine on. great sounding overdrive but was constantly fettling to get it sounding right. would love something similar in a 3-knob vol/tone/gain format.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2240
    bbill335 said:
    that experience is why i sold mine on. great sounding overdrive but was constantly fettling to get it sounding right. would love something similar in a 3-knob vol/tone/gain format.
    It's designed as set and forget. I too kept adjusting mine and eventually sold it. If you can set it and be happy it's great and no knobs to move in transit. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    I find it to be one of my least-tempting pedals to tweak endlessly. I didn't even know it had internal trimmers and now I know I still don't really want to change them
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I don’t have any concerns - everything was sounding a bit flat to me the other day - I think I’d just been playing for too long - I’d ended up taking it to the max treble setting so hardly surprising it now seems overly bright to fresh ears. I’ll set it back to half way and have a fiddle later
    Red ones are better. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    It's incredibly good as smoothing transients and fattening, I suspect loads of players use it as a marshall channel into a bright Fender amp. I've owned mine for 15 years now, does a great red channel lead tone and the brown channel sounds fab with a treble boost into it.
    slacker said:
    It's designed as set and forget. 
    which would be fine if you only use one kind of amp/guitar! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    bbill335 said:
    slacker said:
    It's designed as set and forget. 
    which would be fine if you only use one kind of amp/guitar! 
    imho the reason to use more than one amp and guitar is *because* they will sound different, not to tweak stuff so they sound more similar 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    yeah but the right settings on the balckstone for one setup can sound bad with another. what's good for the goose ain't always good for the gander!
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    In mine you can change some of the capacitors too, they have sockets on the board if you take the back off.  It is detailed in the manual what you can change them to.
    PhilKing said:
    In mine you can change some of the capacitors too, they have sockets on the board if you take the back off.  It is detailed in the manual what you can change them to.
    aye - that's a rabbit hole down which I have zero intention of going :) 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited February 1
    Dug this out again yesterday - by jove it’s good.

To the comment above about not being flexible to use with different guitars - to be clear the tiny external controls are really easy to change as with any pedal  (with your vertical fingertip, or plectrum inserted), just hard to *accidentally* change, and the internal ones don’t really need faffing with. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    Had one years ago and didn't get on with it, probably due to pilot error. Would like to try again but gosh, expensive to get now