Your favourite uncommon key.

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5478
Everybody plays stuff in the common, easy keys, especially on acoustic where most players are more likely to use a lot of open strings. There won't be many of us here who don't play many things in keys like:

E
A
C and Am
G and Em
D

Take those keys as read. What are your favourite *other* keys to play in?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9801
    I'm from a piano background where certain keys definitely do have a different resonance and sound, so when I write on piano then I like using Bb Minor, Eb major and F#/Gb minor. Some of those are easier than others without a capo on guitar!

On guitar without capo I like F major and minor, and Bb Minor as they give a very different sound than just playing E or A with a capo on first fret
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Bb and Eb.

They aren't uncommon in any music with horn or woodwind players though.
    Many guitarists are bewildered by them though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72425
    B, major or minor.

When I was at a fairly formative part of my learning curve I spent quite a lot of time in a band with a female lead vocalist whose natural range centred around there - she usually wrote songs in "G" capo'd at the 4th fret or "Am" capo'd at the second, so I got very used to playing in those keys, in most cases specifically without a capo so I was forced into not duplicating her parts, which sounded much better.

But as a result of that and her occasional tendency to change the key - ie move her capo! - after the event, I pretty quickly learned to transpose and base a lot of my playing around barre and half-barre shapes, so I can now play in most keys tolerably easily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Open tunings and partial capos make it enjoyable and fairly easy to play in different keys.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10421
    C#m is my fave, also like B minor and B major. 
    F, Bb and Eb are my least favourite, which is a bummer for a guitarist in a Kate Bush tribute band. 
    I don't tend to use bar chords or a capo, it's all thumb over the neck and as many open strings as possible 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    edited July 2022
    Looking back over my shoulder is in F minor, that’s pretty odd. And Fm7 is quite a stretch. 

I love playing in Bb and Eb, they cause you to play nice and light up the neck, or use inversions. Really cool. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • EvansDrDEvansDrD Frets: 107
    +1 for Bb and Eb 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    edited July 2022
    Danny1969 said:
    F, Bb and Eb are my least favourite, which is a bummer for a guitarist in a Kate Bush tribute band. 
    I don't tend to use bar chords or a capo, it's all thumb over the neck and as many open strings as possible 
    I learnt All Along the Watchtower in C#m because I copied a video of someone playing it that way, not realising they’d also got the guitar tuned down a half step. It sounds weird to me played any other way now. I also like the way the part chords in C#m sound against the open strings. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10421
    boogieman said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I learnt All Along the Watchtower in C#m because I copied a video of someone playing it that way, not realising they’d also got the guitar tuned down a half step. It sounds weird to me played any other way now. I also like the way the part chords in C#m sound against the open strings. 
    It is in C#m originally, it's just the guitar is tuned down a half step. So if you play along in concert pitch you would need to move down to Cm ... but Hendrix played it in C#m position wise, same as Brightside was played in D, SCOM was played in D, Panama was played in E and so on. 

When I work a song out I ignore the absolute pitch and just listen for open strings and familiar chord voicing's, then I can hear what's going on. The amount of people who couldn't figure out Brightside was amazing but I could hear the open E string adding the 2 / 9 so straight away you could tell he was playing it in D 

C#m is the relative minor of Emaj so all the open strings are fair game except the G string, it's a great key for open inversions. 

@viz What I don't like about Bb and Eb is the lack of open strings and available harmonics. These are the things that give you time to move position without any gaps, they essentially buy you time as a solo guitarist. For solo'ing over backing any key is cool but again, it's easier for country, Rockabilly and rock if you can use open strings as pedals, drones etc and some harmonics as seasoning 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    edited July 2022

@viz What I don't like about Bb and Eb is the lack of open strings and available harmonics. These are the things that give you time to move position without any gaps, they essentially buy you time as a solo guitarist. For solo'ing over backing any key is cool but again, it's easier for country, Rockabilly and rock if you can use open strings as pedals, drones etc and some harmonics as seasoning 
    Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong, they're not as easy as E, A, D, G, C :) I just mean the silver lining is that at least they make you work to find usable alternatives! - which sometimes sound interesting and cool.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8723
    octatonic said:
    Bb and Eb.
    and their relative minors.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • KevSKevS Frets: 483
    I've wrote a lot in D Minor / F of course the saddest of all Keys...
    G Minor / B Flat is good too..
    That is when using open strings though..

If using movable chords surely it's all as easy as each other...
    You just need to know the Chord form and where the roots are..
    You don't even have to play the roots a lot of the time..
    the Bass player often can have that covered..

You can even imply a 12 Bar Blues with 3 single chromatic notes next to each other on a single string...
    Major Third in the middle that's the tonic...Flat 7s on each side the 4 and the 5....
    It also inverts when you move it a Tritone..
    Flat 7 is the Tonic with Two Major Thirds on each side..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5478
    C#m for me too. Also B major and B harmonic minor (I don't think I'd ever played anything much in B natural minor until I read @ICBM's post yesterday, picked up a guitar, and went down a whole new rabbit hole! Fun. :)

Gm is a big key for me. I use it a lot, but morphing into G major and back so often that I get dizzy. One of my favourite things with it is te old bass player's trick of playing the major 3 on the way up and the minor 3 on the way back down (There is probably a proper name for this.)

Throw in F# and that's about it for me. I see no point in using keys like G# where the instrument has nothing much in the way of open strings to add richness and variety to the sound. If you are just going to play up the neck, you might as well play electric.

• Playing in harmonica-led blues bands we end up playing in F quite a lot. I think possibly due to the physics of that instrument I believe F is just a particularly good sounding key for them.

The obvious thing to do would be to capo up and pretend it's in E on the guitar but I quite like doing it without - a lot of the open string notes are actually usable when soloing down by the nut, you've got a 3, 6, 9, b5 and maj 7.

Eb would be the worst one for me, but can't recall anyone ever calling for anything in that key in years (not counting the SRV and Hendrix tunes that result from down-tuned guitars).

Ab also quite uncommon though I do one song in that key with my band, partly just adjusted for vocal range, and also to make a change from G which I use too much...

Favourite uncommon key would be F though.
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    ICBM said:
    B, major or minor.

When I was at a fairly formative part of my learning curve I spent quite a lot of time in a band with a female lead vocalist whose natural range centred around there - she usually wrote songs in "G" capo'd at the 4th fret or "Am" capo'd at the second, so I got very used to playing in those keys, in most cases specifically without a capo so I was forced into not duplicating her parts, which sounded much better.

But as a result of that and her occasional tendency to change the key - ie move her capo! - after the event, I pretty quickly learned to transpose and base a lot of my playing around barre and half-barre shapes, so I can now play in most keys tolerably easily.
    Another vote for B, open string chords can be great.

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Another C#m :) 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    Hm is my favourite.  Very uncommon indeed 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5478
    ^ That would be Bb if we are going to speak English then. :)