Periphery full cover, all instruments

Recently I decided I should make better use of my DAW, and learn recording and mixing. To do that I decided to do a full cover of a Periphery tune a friend told me he liked.
I programmed in all the drums (couple of evenings to get the hits in, then another couple of hours on dynamics) then tried to play the bass in, only to discover the tuning was too different and I wasn't going to spend 30 quid on a new set of strings so I programmed it using Djinbass and another plugin for the clean sound.
I then programmed in the piano parts, strings, extra bits and bobs I thought I could hear in the master recording.
Next up was recording the guitars. Disclaimer: I spent a couple of weeks learning the tune on guitar before I started any programming etc. That was a day or 2 to get all parts double tracked, and all the many, many guitar layers identified and done.

That's it to date.

Still to do:
Get my friend to record vocals
Fix a bit of flamming here and there with the guitar parts double tracking
Mix it! (current mix is just raw parts that I adjusted to roughly correct levels using volume faders)

Hopefully it will sound sick when it's done, but this is just a WIP. 

Open to comments, thoughts, suggestions etc. Only request is please don't be a douche and attack me/the effort I've put in.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    Impressive. Sounds like some serious work has been put into that.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    Impressive. Sounds like some serious work has been put into that.
    Thanks, a reasonable amount but it was all fun really, nothing was a drag and I learned a tonne from doing it. I do want to get it finished though, then I can do the next one!
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    I'll look forward to hearing the finished mix, that's sounding impressive already, NOT an easy track that.

I love messing around with covers for two different reasons, the most obvious is that you get to mess around creatively without the "stress" of writing a song.  Or alternatively as you're doing here, trying to get as close as possible to the original ... really tightens up your playing, dialing in tones and then learning so much in the mix stage.

Hope you carry on enjoying the process!
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    Bezzer said:
    I'll look forward to hearing the finished mix, that's sounding impressive already, NOT an easy track that.

I love messing around with covers for two different reasons, the most obvious is that you get to mess around creatively without the "stress" of writing a song.  Or alternatively as you're doing here, trying to get as close as possible to the original ... really tightens up your playing, dialing in tones and then learning so much in the mix stage.

Hope you carry on enjoying the process!
    Thanks man, yep, certainly does tighten up your playing. Nothing like listening to the worst double tracking in history to make you go back to the shed to sort it out!

Tones, yep learned a load there too. About blending clean and dirty bass tracks, layering 2 different pianos for a more well rounded tone, how the guitar tones are very different to what you would expect....stuff about drum and piano dynamics around which hits are generally louder than the others and why. Really good process to go through and still lots to do!
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4100
    Really impressive work there well done.  The drums sounds a little quieter in the mix in my headphones.