Martin D-41

What's Hot
Dear all,
do you know what's fair price for a used one in good conditions? I am on the market for one and find prices all over the places. I tend to prefer the pre-imagined version.
Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited July 2022
    well quick scan seems anything from £3200 to north of £5k   in fact 70s ones north of £6k
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Not a D41 but I've had a pre Re-imagined D35 and a Re-imagined HD28. The former served me well for years. The neck profile on the Re-imagined series, though, was a problem for me. I could gig with  it and did but I always felt I wasn't comfortable with it.

Not any help to you price-wise but maybe pre Re-imagined vs Re-imagined :) 
  • Mellish said:
    Not a D41 but I've had a pre Re-imagined D35 and a Re-imagined HD28. The former served me well for years. The neck profile on the Re-imagined series, though, was a problem for me. I could gig with  it and did but I always felt I wasn't comfortable with it.

Not any help to you price-wise but maybe pre Re-imagined vs Re-imagined :) 
    Thanks, I am not really into Martin so I find it difficult to understand all the changes between reimagined and previous models, one reason I would go for an early model is to have something with 10-20 years real wood aging. Why the new neck was not comfortable to you if I may ask?
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I found the Re-imagined neck profile didn't suit me because it's a soft V - too chunky for me. 

You might try it and think it's great, though,  don't let me influence you. Try one and see :) 
  • Mellish said:
    I found the Re-imagined neck profile didn't suit me because it's a soft V - too chunky for me. 

You might try it and think it's great, though,  don't let me influence you. Try one and see :) 
    Yes I know very well neck profile is a matter of preference. I have had so many guitars to prove it lol!!!
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    edited July 2022
    Mellish said:

Not any help to you price-wise but maybe pre Re-imagined vs Re-imagined  
    Thanks, I am not really into Martin so I find it difficult to understand all the changes between reimagined and previous models, one reason I would go for an early model is to have something with 10-20 years real wood aging. Why the new neck was not comfortable to you if I may ask?
    The Reimagined series across many marques of Martin was a 2018 attempt to take their instruments back to the much respected 'pre-war' Martins which were starting to attract some high second hand values. So scalloped bracing, shifted bracing, open tuners, a supposedly older style neck. They were very well received and so these changes/reversions are now incorporated into many of the current 'Standard' Martins, whilst the changes across the range since then are described as the 'Modern Deluxe' models. These modern deluxes are markedly more expensive now and, whilst different, are not necessarily that much better than the 2018 changes but are the excuse for massive price upticks.

Look around. You'll find as good/better instruments for less now. Or go for the Standard (reimagined) models, which only a short time ago were being lauded, with good cause, as very good too! In the current Martin price list they are somewhat of a bargain imho, if someone absolutely must have a Martin.

I have an OM28 Reimagined which cost me £2899 (and still only £3,195) new from Peach in 2018 and its very nice.

All this is not universally true across Martin's entire range as since 2018 they have introduced some highly desirable and shockingly expensive models, especially parlour sized like the 0012-28 and 012-28 - both £4,395!! Very nice but possibly not that nice in the 2022 financially-challenged UK market!

Hope that helps.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom