Battery Pocket come unstuck in acoustic

AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
The small cloth pocket that holds the battery in my Gibson L-00 has come away from whatever position it was attached to inside the body - haven't figured out the exact position yet. On the upper side somewhere presumably.
What kind of glue should I use to reattach it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    Most are held in with Velcro. You can get it with sticky tape on one side most anywhere. However, it might be sensible to ensure the pouch hasn't simply come off the existing Velcro.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    What normally happens with these is that the velcro slowly peels off the wood - it's usually stuck to the neck block on Gibsons. It seems incredibly strong when you try to pull it off on purpose, but leave the guitar standing/hanging upright for a few days and you come back to find it banging around in the body...

I fix them by driving a couple of small screws through the piece that goes on the guitar, which you either need a very short screwdriver for, or a very long one and reverse it in your hand so your elbow is over the neck and your hand under the bridge, if that makes sense. (I find that easiest.)

Or just remove the whole lot of junk and fit a simple passive pickup and endpin jack, which is what I did on mine!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

Or just remove the whole lot of junk and fit a simple passive pickup and endpin jack, which is what I did on mine!
    The only problem with that is, to get the balance I want, I need and external pre-amp which adds to the cable count and more to trip over. Still, each to their own.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    TheMadMick said:

The only problem with that is, to get the balance I want, I need and external pre-amp which adds to the cable count and more to trip over. Still, each to their own.
    But less to go wrong in a way that can't be bypassed or replaced at a gig. (Or easily at any other time.)

Even changing the battery is difficult at a gig. I know, you should do it beforehand, but that's very wasteful since you inevitably end up changing them well before they're dead.

Electro-acoustic problems were the bane of my life as a repairer. Not that it's why I gave that up!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    Thanks both - it was the velcro that's come off - oddly there was no residue from the glue left anywhere on the guitar though to indicate exactly where it was originally placed. 
    If you have the original Velcro, double sided tape may do the business.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    I got fed up with velcro always coming loose.  Replaced it with something like this screwed to the neck block:

Allparts only sell them in packs of 5 though.