Solo of the Month (SotM) #85 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2202
edited August 2022 in Making Music
This is the 85th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open and ends at midnight 24th August 2022.

Discussion:
This backing track was kindly provided by @digitalkettle

You can download backing track from Soundcloud below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm85-digitalkettle-its-a-wrap-mr-black?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Title: It's a wrap, Mr Black

Tempo: 121 bpm

Structure:
| C/E F G | Am | x 4
| G | F | x 4
| C/E F G | Am | x 4

There should be headroom to record your solo. Try to set a level without excessive master limiting, because we want to avoid loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• that is one tasty and evocative track...
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 835
    I agree - very tastefully played
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    Oh that's a lovely track.

Shame I've gone and ruined it by recording and sending a solo
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh that's a lovely track...

It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    Thanks Pete 

FWIW I have on idea of the backing track was based around a particular track so I just went with what came to me. Decided I might as well try some solos even though it's not usually my thing. Can't wait to hear what the rest of you do with this
  • Mine's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • And one from @DrHungry added to the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    Sent one in. What a great backing track! Used my Silver Sky SE into the J40 with a couple of pedals for dirt, recorded via Captor X.

I had to have a bit of a chat with @digitalkettle about timing, I ended up counting this in a mishmash of 3/4 and 4/4, which I think actually had quite a pleasing result. I've resisted listening to anyone else's as yet, I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone else navigated the time signature.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrHungry said:

I had to have a bit of a chat with @digitalkettle about timing, I ended up counting this in a mishmash of 3/4 and 4/4...

I didn't even think of the time signature and just crudely ploughed through it as if it's in 4/4  Perhaps I missed a subtlety somewhere :)

It's not a competition.
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    DrHungry said:

I had to have a bit of a chat with @digitalkettle about timing, I ended up counting this in a mishmash of 3/4 and 4/4...

I didn't even think of the time signature and just crudely ploughed through it as if it's in 4/4  Perhaps I missed a subtlety somewhere :)

The arpeggios confused me and I forgot my 4 times table! I was counting 4 bars of 3 and one of 4 for the A section.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4129
    SEnt one in.

Great mellow backing track @digitalkettle .  It conjured up images of a courtship dance between two fairy sprites dancing around a tiny fire in the deep dark forest, flitting hither and tither, touching fingers and bounding back in mock coyness, before finally holding one another close in a fairy embrace,  unleashing all their pent up passion,  pan back and the sparks of the fire drifting up into the night sky. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sent one in....

It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Great mellow backing track @digitalkettle .  It conjured up images of a courtship dance between two fairy sprites dancing around a tiny fire in the deep dark forest, flitting hither and tither, touching fingers and bounding back in mock coyness, before finally holding one another close in a fairy embrace,  unleashing all their pent up passion,  pan back and the sparks of the fire drifting up into the night sky. 
    You see straight through me! ;)
  • Sent one in!
  • Sent one in!
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5864
    Sent mine in. Lovely backing track.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • An entry from @Bellycaster added to the playlist. That makes 6 entries already. They're coming thick and fast this month.

It's not a competition.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Sent one in. Apologies for the dodgy country-is lick....need a fix-bridge guitar ideally as I found out too late but it's there or thereabouts! (I do have one but the strings are too heavy for that at the moment!)
  • Sent one in...
    And that's seven entries in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • here's another one...drenched in delay and chorus - great backing track!! :)