Question about diads...

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9666
https://youtu.be/q0bwQmgS1pY

Jimmie Vaughan’s guitar intro here appears to start with a slide up to double stop consisting only  of F (6 fret on the B string) and D (7 fret on the G string). Ok, in this case I suspect the bass might be playing the G, but even if it wasn’t the guitar would still be recognisably playing a G7. So, how come the brain interprets this a G7 and not, say, a Dm or Bb? 
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BradBrad Frets: 659
    Most probably because your ear is used to hearing them in the context of G7, as opposed to the other chords mentioned or different musical situations. 

Without context, these two notes could be many different things. If you’re not used to hearing Ebma9, you’ll struggle to hear them that way. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    Without the G  bass it implies Dm to me , with the G bass it's G7 to me. It's the brain filling in the gap a little after hearing the song in G ..... but if you went and listened to 2 songs in Dm  and then played the D&F your brain decode D minor normally. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    edited August 2022
    Diads/intervals/double stops and only becomes a chord when a 3rd note is added....generally
    tae be or not tae be