SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: Jolliffe DS-18 prototype hand made luthier built acoustic - based on pre-war Martin D18

What's Hot
dombennisondombennison Frets: 111
edited August 2022 in Acoustics £
Due to a change in musical direction, I’m listing this stunning Jolliffe acoustic, hand built by Nicholas Jolliffe.

It’s a phenomenal sounding thing and the built quality & attention to detail is outstanding.
It has £250 of Waverley butterbean tuners, all timbers are from split billets and there’s currently a Fishman rare earth active pickup.

It has hand carved, unbleached cowbone nut, saddle and pins. Hemispherical fret ends and the dimensions & construction are based on a pre war Martin D-18. It’s on the same level as Huss & Dalton, Collings etc in all areas (except the price!)

There are a couple of cosmetic marks/dings but nothing major and also no structural damage at all. It’s in great condition.

It doesn’t currently have a case but I’m sure I can sort something out for the buyer.

Looking for £1300 £1200 ONO for a cash sale or I’d be interested in either a rackmount Kemper or cheaper acoustic in part exchange

Based in Garforth near Leeds for collection or I'll buy a hardcase for it and ship to the buyer for postage costs  

https://i.imgur.com/ESHoyNJ.jpg

Full gallery:
https://imgur.com/a/4qorQ16
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That's a lovely guitar I'm guessing the timbers are the same as a D-18 - mahogany back & sides, sitka spruce top, and an Ebony fretboard, over a mahogany neck?
    Mercedes 300  (Jeff)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a lovely guitar I'm guessing the timbers are the same as a D-18 - mahogany back & sides, sitka spruce top, and an Ebony fretboard, over a mahogany neck?
    Mercedes 300  (Jeff)
    I believe so! I’ll double check on the ebony board but I’m 99% sure it’s mahogany back and sides, Sitka spruce top (it’s been a few years since I bought it and it’s totally slipped my mind! Haha)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Mercedes 300  (Jeff)
    Yep, definitely mahogany and Sitka spruce. Just need to double check on the board to be 100% but it certainly looks like ebony to me
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Cliched but -  that looks a lot of guitar for the money. 
  • Cliched but -  that looks a lot of guitar for the money. 
    You’re certainly right good sir!  :)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    lovely looking guitar (and impressive looking backdrop as well). 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Not The Vim Fuego? How's Den Dennis?

Sorry for the hijack.
  • Price drop from 1300 to £1200 ono and I'll even buy a hard case for it and ship to the buyer for postage costs :) 
  • Hi Dom, this does look lovely.I can’t find anything online about Nicholas Jolliffe. Did you get it from him direct? What can you tell us about him? Many thanks.
  • soundout said:
    Hi Dom, this does look lovely.I can’t find anything online about Nicholas Jolliffe. Did you get it from him direct? What can you tell us about him? Many thanks.
    Hi there, I bought it from the guy who originally ordered it from Nicholas. I'm actually in contact with Nicholas and he said he's happy to provide specs and information - I'm just waiting for a reply back with some more direct info. 
    I can ask the original owner for some more info too.
    He only made a small amount of guitars in total as the level of attention to detail and quality of the build was very intense alongside his other work (I believe he is a doctor of some kind!) and it wasn't financially viable to build guitars to this quality for what they would likely retail for.

He sent me a picture of the last guitar he made, 28 guitars after mine - Here's the link: https://imgur.com/r6mIxUb

I was told his father was a cabinet maker for the queen so you can imagine the quality of the workmanship here is second to none!
  • dombennisondombennison Frets: 111
    edited August 2022
    Here's a few sound samples for anyone that'd like to hear it! 
    Quickly captured with a BeezNeez U87 type microphone (it's fairly neutral, if a little dark sounding mic off the bat).
    There are raw, unprocessed versions and some with a little EQ, compression and reverb I'd use in the mix and a limiter just to bring the overall level up. 
    It's a playlist so you may have to open up Soundcloud directly to hear all of the examples
    You'll have to excuse my sloppy playing, I'm currently in-between split shifts at work and flagging somewhat!