Lost my playing mojo

What's Hot
Happened 2-3 weeks ago, really struggling to be bothered to play, nothing seems to inspire.
This is across everything, from listening to music, playing, and even watching youtube, WTF
Help, how do i shake this
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Do something else! It’s summer, so do something outside. 

Music is important to you, otherwise you wouldn’t have invested so much of your life in it. After a while your inspiration will return. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
    As @roland has said, do something else. Just walk away from it for a while. 

I’ve always found it comes back eventually, just don’t rush it or force it. 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    Roland said:
    Do something else! It’s summer, so do something outside. 

Music is important to you, otherwise you wouldn’t have invested so much of your life in it. After a while your inspiration will return. 
    100% as above . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    Ketamine

Or what the others have said. Take a break but make sure you are active doing something else and it will return when it's ready
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    I’ve had the same problem for about a year.  I continue to play music in various groups, but that’s because I’ve basically built my social life around it.  But I really struggle to make myself practice at home.  I would usually be working on some solo fingerstyle pieces or songs but I really can’t be arsed.
    I try to just accept it and do other stuff, but it’s been such a big thing for me, I feel a bit empty without it.
    Sorry, this isn’t very useful, but you aren’t alone.
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    100% don't stress about it, it'll come back eventually.  I find that a break does me good and I come back feeling better about my playing.  It seems to give me some perspective to step away from it for a while.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    Do you like electronic music?

I bought a Circuit Tracks and haven't looked back.
    It's a really fun and easy introduction to making ambient, techno, house, whatever.

I've pretty much not touched a guitar in about 3 months and couldn't care less, but I'm doing more music than ever. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    Yep, a change or a rest - either is good.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Thanks Chaps, think i will take a rest for a while then, not force it
  • Aha, not just me then! I'd drop it for a while, but like when I go on holiday for 2 weeks, it's SUCH a lot of slog to get those fingers working again, can't imagine how uphill it would be after a longer break.
  • I’m having an enforced break following major abdominal surgery, two weeks in hospital, and now several weeks of recovery. Have been told to lift little more than a cup of tea!
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 586
    Habanero said:
    I’m having an enforced break following major abdominal surgery, two weeks in hospital, and now several weeks of recovery. Have been told to lift little more than a cup of tea!
    Oh bloody hell! Hope you’re doing ok, and speedy recovery to ya!

Not even a mug of tea? A cup is barely a serving!
  • Bezzer said:
    Habanero said:
    I’m having an enforced break following major abdominal surgery, two weeks in hospital, and now several weeks of recovery. Have been told to lift little more than a cup of tea!
    Oh bloody hell! Hope you’re doing ok, and speedy recovery to ya!

Not even a mug of tea? A cup is barely a serving!
     Cheers! Am now feeling a bit better after returning and them finding a huge clot behind one of the wounds. Created quite a horrific mess.
  • One thought might be to change perspective ... offer guitar tuition or music theory lessons or something like that.

Often the act of giving of yourself to develop or improve others can often tap into energies and passions you haven't yet cultivated or indeed even know you have.

It's also potentially an investment in yourself if you want it to be ... how many people out there started a new venture by accident I wonder?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained ... but whatever you do I wish you well.

Best,

Stu