"Georgia Bound" on SoundCloud

DavidRDavidR Frets: 755
edited August 2022 in Acoustics
Just put latest stuff on Soundcloud.

Search D B Rance then Playlists and its there as Georgia Bound. Mainly deeply unfashionable Piedmont Blues, Ragtime + a few other bits and bobs. On most platforms you don't have to register with SoundCloud but with some you do. Free streaming service.

Its on as .wav files so if you can Bluetooth yourself to a decent sound system or headphones it will sound better. Although the music itself won't. :-) I've got a few more tracks to record and put on yet yet but here's the first few.

Stream and listen to music online for free with SoundCloud

(Would be interested to hear people's experience of using SoundCloud, specifically on the copyright enforcement. They seem pretty relaxed about amateur non-commercial stuff. I've used them for a year or two without problems).
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5526
    Soundcloud isn't streaming for me at present. I think this is a Soundcloud or network issue. 

No wait! It's a browser or ad-blocker thing. Switching to the (otherwise unlovely) Chrome lets it play fine. I suspect my Opera ad-blocker is being a bit over-aggressive.

No relevant experience with Soundcloud at all, this might be the second or third time I've ever used it. 

No matter. I enjoyed listening to that and will be sure to listen to the new ones as you add them too. Thanks for posting!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited August 2022
    yeah nice  - one small request/comment  (and this applies more to your other tracks........)  the reverb is a bit overpowering, especially on headphones it detracts a smidge from the nice playing

Not sure if thats something you've added in the recording/mix  or is natural from the room/mic's ,  acoustic tends to have its own "reverb" which is great,  but can easily get "over emphasised" ? (not sure if thats the right term )  -  but nice tone / playing  

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 755
    edited August 2022
    bertie said:
    yeah nice  - one small request/comment  (and this applies more to your other tracks........)  the reverb is a bit overpowering, especially on headphones it detracts a smidge from the nice playing

Not sure if thats something you've added in the recording/mix  or is natural from the room/mic's ,  acoustic tends to have its own "reverb" which is great,  but can easily get "over emphasised" ? (not sure if thats the right term )  -  but nice tone / playing  

Very helpful criticism Bertie. Thanks. Its really good to have some feedback from other players.

My editing is always the same (with Audacity freeware). Chop out best take/optimise volume/add reverb/fade in & fade out/wrap/save as .wav file.

Will start to fiddle a bit with the editing to reduce reverb a little. I agree it is always there and its not the room. I never change whatever reverb setting Audacity gives me. Although you can. It gives you several options, which I must make efforts to understand a bit better. Sometimes I do a clean intro and then chop in the reverb at the start of the first phrase of the theme, but otherwise you're hardly ever hearing the recorded tone of the instrument. The only change would be which instrument I'm using.

Thanks +++ for comment.

I'm just about to record Police Dog Blues by Blind Blake. Perhaps I'll just record it clean.

D.
    @bertie - just put above on SoundCloud. Its recorded clean as you suggested. Yamaha FG5 with Monel strings. The slight wah at the end is from moving the guitar not an effect.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited August 2022
    hi @DavidR ;;  -  sorry, only just got round to listening - took me straight back to when I was my early 20s,  got leant a Ry Cooder album by -  Simon (down at Brook)  - that was one of the tracks on it !!!

anyway -   yeah loved it - much nicer all round tone and to listen to  - for me anyways    not going to sing it then ?   
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  •  @DavidR If you just paste the URL to the track's Soundcloud page, you should get an embedded player on this here forum...

edited August 2022
    bertie said:
    hi @DavidR ;;;;;  -  sorry, only just got round to listening - took me straight back to when I was my early 20s,  got leant a Ry Cooder album by -  Simon (down at Brook)  - that was one of the tracks on it !!!

anyway -   yeah loved it - much nicer all round tone and to listen to  - for me anyways    not going to sing it then ?   
    No have never sung. Put off hugely by singing in a folk club on Kensington Church St with a mate in my teens where we were useless basically and the audience were unfriendly. Also can't sing! Mouth not connected to guitar! Thanks for comment - really useful, and I get what you mean about tone.

Thanks for tip @digitalkettle