West Midlands guitar shop road trip

What's Hot
I'm looking for a good bang-for-the-buck OM/OOO in the £1000 as I'm not particularly enamoured with the tone of my Larrivee OM-03R, it's got a sweet tone for fingerstyle but not much in the bass department. Looking for a warmer sound it seemed that cedar/mahogany might be the way to go.

Living in Hull there aren't many places with much of a selection in that area, so while the wife was away cat sitting in London (don't ask) I thought I'd take a trip to shops I wouldn't normally get to. Top of the list was Richards Guitars and as Birmingham has a couple of decent shops I headed down for a couple of days.

GG and PMT didn't really have that much in my target area, didn't bother with PMT but GG have an Eastman E2OM at £530. I already have an E8OM-TC so I'm familiar with the quality, but I wasn't expecting to be so impressed with the tone, warm but clear with decent bass, much preferred it to my Larrivee. For the hell of it i also tried a Maton EBW808 in Blackwood and a Lowden F23 in cedar and walnut, lovely guitars. I was already battling against some guy shredding lead guitar but when the bassist started up I gave up.

Onto Richards the following day. I was surprised to find I'd had to make an appointment and could only get 2pm, a two hour slot. I had to leave my hotel at 10am so had 4 hours to kill, not too many nicer places to do that than Stratford-on-Avon. 

On arrival at Richards I was surprised to find it wasn't a traditional shop but an industrial unit. The appointment system made perfect sense though. I was left alone in a roomful of acoustics for two hours with no one to compete against, superb experience. If expressed an interest in cedar mahogany Audens and Furchs so they were set out for me, but I was free to try anything in the room.

I was very impressed with the Auden Chester, lovely tone with great bass if a little soft in the treble, but I was blown away by the Furch Blue OM CM. I couldn't believe how strong the bass was and how much volume it puts out in what's quite a slim body. There's definitely some alchemy at work. Like everyone I've heard great things about Furch but I didn't expect to be this impressed. And it was the cheapest of the bunch. Suffice to say I bought it, just waiting now for the set up they provide in with the price. And I thought I didn't like cats.

Sorry, I rambled on a lot more than intended!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I thought there was a good shop in Beverley somewhere. Has it moved?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    I thought there was a good shop in Beverley somewhere. Has it moved?
    There is a good shop there, Guitar Gallery but they're mainly a Taylor dealer and don't stock what I was looking for.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5480
    edited August 2022
    Shadow said:

Not at all. Enjoyable reading. I must find an excuse to drop into the local Hobart shop which has recently got in several Furch models. The Red and two of the three Greens have already sold but there is one Green and a couple of Blues still there. I just have to manufacture a plausible excuse to try them out. You've reawakened an itch @Shadow.

Tannin said:
    Shadow said:

Not at all. Enjoyable reading. I must find an excuse to drop into the local Hobart shop which has recently got in several Furch models. The Red and two of the three Greens have already sold but there is one Green and a couple of Blues still there. I just have to manufacture a plausible excuse to try them out. You've reawakened an itch @Shadow.

You're welcome  =)
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    Never mind about rambling, it was s good story with a happy ending!   ;)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Great story :) 

I've really liked the Furches I've tried. Bit annoying the prices have gone up a fair bit recently, though.
    Soupman said:
    Never mind about rambling, it was s good story with a happy ending!   ;)
    Cheers Soupman!
    Dave_Mc said:
    Great story :) 

I've really liked the Furches I've tried. Bit annoying the prices have gone up a fair bit recently, though.
    I haven't been following their price trajectory, but £899 for what I'm getting with a setup thrown in feels like a bargain!
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @Shadow ; late to this.

Nice, enjoyable read mate. 

Didn't know about Guitar Gallery. Thanks for that. 

Glad you got sorted :+1:

Cheers Mellish. I wasn't certain I was going to find anything but the Furch exceeded my expectations. Now the wait...
  • I'd love to try a Furch. I have never tried any so called 'premium' or 'expensive' acoustics so I've got no real template for how good or bad a guitar is. But Furch have had so many positive reviews that they must be up towards the top of the non luthier built tree. Enjoy your instrument,and when your guitar turns up enjoy that too!
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    OT but nice to meet a fellow acoustic player from Hull! I moved here a couple of years ago and I'm still getting to know the place and its music scene, any tips very welcome...
    I'd love to try a Furch. I have never tried any so called 'premium' or 'expensive' acoustics so I've got no real template for how good or bad a guitar is. But Furch have had so many positive reviews that they must be up towards the top of the non luthier built tree. Enjoy your instrument,and when your guitar turns up enjoy that too!
    I'm in a similar position although I've tried a couple of Lowdens which haven't particularly blown my socks off though that's almost certainly proof of my undiscerning ear! I've got an Eastman E8OM-TC which is a very nice instrument, and although I haven't had a chance to compare directly yet, from what I heard of the Furch the other day I'm expecting to much prefer it even though it's only two thirds the price of the Eastman.

Thanks, I always take pleasure in my instrument!
    Stuckfast said:
    OT but nice to meet a fellow acoustic player from Hull! I moved here a couple of years ago and I'm still getting to know the place and its music scene, any tips very welcome...
    Nice to meet you Stuckfast! I'm not really that up on the local scene, but places you might try are the Adelphi and the Polar Bear. Also, a friend of mine plays regularly at an open mic, Tuesday at the Tap which is at the St Johns Hotel on Queens Road.
    Thanks. I've been going to the folk club in Beverley which is nice but I sometimes would like to be somewhere I'm not the only non-retired person in the room... what sort of stuff do you play, if you don't mind my asking?

Coincidentally I've also got a Larrivee OM-3!
    There's also be Cottingham folk club though I can't speak for the demographic! http://www.andy-hammond.co.uk/

I play pretty much exclusively fingerstyle, ragtime blues, folk, a bit of Tommy Emmanuel (badly!). What's about you?

As it happens, the Larrivee is going to be the one that has to make room for the Furch. I'm not really getting the depth of tone I was hoping for. But for playability it's the best guitar I've had.
    The Cottingham club is just down the road from me so I've been a few times -- always an interesting mix of stuff, but yes, another place where I bring the average age down quite a bit.

I mostly play fingerstyle too, mostly traditional folk, I suppose influenced by people like Nic Jones and Martin Carthy.

I've never really compared my Larrivee with anything vaguely similar. It's incredibly playable and records well. I guess I wouldn't expect it to have as much bass as a dreadnought, but it seems to have a pretty balanced sound to me.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Looks like I'm accompanying my wife to Brum in 2 weeks time, and will have the day spare while she does stuff. She's mentioned booking a hotel on Hagley Rd, so this thread has nicely pointed me in the direction of GuitarGuitar which will be about 200m from the hotel, from memory.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5480
    ^ Oh dear. That could be expensive. 
    Pjon said:
    Looks like I'm accompanying my wife to Brum in 2 weeks time, and will have the day spare while she does stuff. She's mentioned booking a hotel on Hagley Rd, so this thread has nicely pointed me in the direction of GuitarGuitar which will be about 200m from the hotel, from memory.
    Don't forget PMT to fill out the day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom