Optical Mic Switch

MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3662
Has anyone got any real world experience of using an optical mic switch such as this https://www.thomann.de/gb/monacor_pb_05e.htm ?

I’m singing backing vocals through a TC Helicon VoiceLive2 processor.  I’m the only backing singer, so the VoiceLive is useful for filling things out a bit, but spill from the drums can sound quite odd when I’m ‘off mic’.  I use a mic mute switch for songs where I don’t sing and I’ve tried a gate within the effect and on the desk but, with limited set up / sound check times, it can be a bit hit and miss.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10426
    Never used one but have often wondered if they work reliably. 
    I have thought about using a pressure mat ... these are normally open  contact wise but you could use one to switch the coil on a relay and move the relay from shorting pins 2 and 3 together every time you stepped on the mat 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3662
    Thanks.  I've read about the pressure mat approach somewhere before.  I already have an Orchid Electronics Mic Mute Light which is great for long intervals where I'm not singing.  It's just that it's easy to forget to turn it on in time, especially if I'm changing patches on the Helix.