How far would you travel?

What's Hot
I've recently found a band playing music that I love and I think is woefully ignored in this country but it would involve a fairly lengthy commute for rehearsals every week. I'm very torn as I'd love to be a part of it.

How far do you travel to rehearsal?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Depends on the band, how much you like it, and how long you think it will last. It also depends on which day you rehearse. I’d happily devote one evening per week, Monday to Friday, but if it’s a weekend rehearsal then more than once a month would be difficult.

Currently I travel for 30 minutes. In the past I’ve driven for 45 minutes, but that was straight from work, and home by 10:30. For the right band, and a full day rehearsal once per month I’d happily travel a lot more.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Until lockdown I regularly travelled an hour each way to the next county for rehearsals. These were typically once a month on a Sunday 10 til 2 plus we meet straight after work a couple of times a month at the drummers house. We would rehearse quieter and indulge in a Chinese takeaway part way through. 
    I loved the music and we had a great rapport, indeed we had a social meet up last week to catch up on each others lives.
    other  bands have felt like hard work even right here in my small town! 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    Tonight it'll be approx 50 minutes there / 35 min back, that's for a 3 hour rehearsal.  As above, it depends upon the band and how it fits in with the rest of your life.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
    I've recently found a band playing music that I love and I think is woefully ignored in this country
    Just curious about what style of music you like to play.  If I was really into an under-represented style of music I would probably be willing to travel about an hour each way once or maybe twice a week.  If it was just for a jam I might be persuaded to travel about 2 hours once a week.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    I've heard of Scottish tribute bands who'd walk 500 miles to be at your door.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    All depends on how much you want to be involved, and how much time / travel costs you can justify. Often you might not know the answer before you meet them. Anything more than an hour away needs to be an exceptional opportunity for me.
  • Thanks for all the feedback - I'm doing it! Going to have to rebuild the pedalboard again and upgrade the guitars!
  • I really want to know what the style of music is now :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    I really want to know what the style of music is now :)
    Me too!

I used to travel a 90 mile round trip for rehearsals with a decent band which was fine. The thing which killed it for me in the end was that all the gigs bar one were on the wrong side of the band's base for me, so I'd always still be on the road long after the rest of the band were tucked up in bed. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    I've just signed up for a charity gig for work. 22 mins, with rehearsals in Dubai, which is 90 minutes drive from here... I'll combine it with going and seeing colleagues up there but should be fun. I would add I'm hoping we don't need too many rehearsals.

Currently negotiating with the lead singer to not turn it into a disco set...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Travelled 1 hour each way,   weekly rehearsals gor a good few months. It's fine when it's good,  but not so much when others aren't pulling their weight or the music shifts away from what you joined for in the first place. 
    Even though I left, I don't regret the travel or time I put in. 

• Current band should be about 15 mins away to rehearse, but sadly the singer doesn't drive so I normally have to go 15mins in the opposite direction to pick her up, and then drop her off afterwards, which is a pain in the arse. 

However, we've only done about 2 rehearsals in the last 2 years, so it's no great drama!
  • The last band I was in I travelled about an hour to rehearsals. Problem being they were always held on a weekday evening from 6-9. Now trying to get there on time in the middle of rush hour on the M25 is pretty much impossible esp when most members finished at 5.30pm more than 15 miles away! As a result we never started on time, too much chat on weekend plans (save that for the pub) and members would complain they had to get up early the next morning and slope off at 8pm. So all in all just enough time to run a set twice. Waste of money for everyone. Was a relief to get home at times.

The last band I was involved with (wasn't really in that band officially, just helping mates out) we played more often meaning we didn't need to rehearse as much but when we did it was at a place 30 minutes away and was always on a weekend meaning we could book longer making the time more productive. Full focus on getting stuff done and only on breaks was there any chat on social stuff.

Now if I was to play in a band I would like to be as local as I can as time is precious and I have different priorities in life.
  • I really want to know what the style of music is now :)
    hardcore celtic folk-step
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • OMG thats actually a thing!!!! 

alright..let me try again pirate death jazz
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OMG thats actually a thing!!!!

alright..let me try again pirate death jazz

Lacking Pirates but is this close?!

• We're very local now at about 10-15 mins away. We leave the gear set up so it's perfect. I have done some stupid mileage for bands but not now.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"