NGD - Dark strings?

What's Hot
MSedgMSedg Frets: 119
Hi all,

I was going to do a NGD, but then I thought I’d add in a question. I’ve been lucky enough to recently get a new toy - a player grade 1961 J-50 that’s been through the usual stuff. Probably a neck reset, certainly two cleated top cracks, new tuner buttons, shaved down bridge with filled section replacing adjustable bridge etc. Despite all that it plays great (and even better now I’ve replaced the incredibly low saddle that was on it). I’ll take some more pics but one is here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XfUtLuEzp4xLQHGFA

Its a great thing, and replaced a J-45 Vintage I had which was quite a “dark” sounding guitar. This J-50 is definitely a bit top-heavy to my ear (though it’s almost certainly that my ear was so used to the J-45) and I’m having a bit of trouble getting the right strings for it. My usual GHS Americanas are too bright on it, it’s got monels  on now but although they’re smoother, it’s still a little bright for my taste. Any recommendations for strings which tend to tone down the top end a bit? I know I could just leave these on for 6 months, but my usual approach is to throw money at the problem!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited August 2022
    let @TimmyO ;; play them for 5 mins,  they'll be darker than a dark thing      

I just got rid of some Thomastik Spectrum cos I thought they were dreadfully  dull/flat -  but some consider that "warm"  --  could give those a try ?? 

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited August 2022
    Or Silk & Steel, they introduce warmth

Nice-looking J-50 btw. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7471
    I would have suggested Monels - but if you don’t like them they’ll not darken much over time 
    Red ones are better. 
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 119
    Hmmm. Not tried any Thomastik (or at least if I have it’s long enough ago that I can’t remember) - maybe they’ll be next up!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31619
    Mellish said:

Nice-looking J-50 btw. 
    That's what I ise on my bright, loud J-35 to sweeten it for recording. 

For live jamming I enjoy it being a cannon though. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @p90fool ; same here mate - power when I'm gigging, especially outdoors :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5481
     Most phosphor bronze strings are darker than GHS Americana, but few manage that same wonderful combination of brightness overall with depth and subtlety as they play in. 

So ... 'most any phosphor bronze string, such as John Pierce, Martin, Darco, Earthwood, and many others. But I think you are looking for more than that.

"Monels" probably means Martin Retros (you didn't say which brand).  And yes, they will darken over time. Retros take a week or ten days to develop their proper tone. 

Retros are brighter than D'Addario Nickel Bronze, the difference is quite noticeable. For some reason D'Addario charge quite a lot more than Martin do for a similar string, but if you want that smoother, darker sound, it's worth the extra. SIT also make a Monel string; I've ordered a set to try but they haven't got here yet. And finally, I understand that the darkest of all the  nickel strings is the John Pierce Pure Nickel. Sounds as though that might be your best bet. (Again, I have a set on order, not yet tried them.)

J-45 -> J-50 is an upgrade in my book. Happy new guitar!
    Thanks @Tannin - I hadn’t realised there was much between the Monel/nickel alloy sets. You’re right, these are Martin Retros, so if there’s a noticeable difference then I might go for John Pearse and see if they’re too dark. A cheaper trial than Thomastik anyway, I just looked up the price…!
    Mellish said:

Nice-looking J-50 btw. 
    Thanks! Not sure about silk or steel, I’ve tried em on a few guitars before and never really got on with them. I also broke more strings than I ever have with them. It was a few years ago though, so I might give them another go if the JPs don’t work out.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    you need some new thumb picks to go with that 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5481
    Cheers @MSedg If you want to go part-way toward the silk and steel sound and get some of the benefits but not too many of the drawbacks, I very much like Pyramid 307 silver coated. Thomann had them for a crazy-low e4.90 the other week. (Fat lot of use that is is to me - Thomann don't ship to Oz!)  They shine at fingerstyle, but you can strum them if desired (which I wouldn't really say about silk and steel).