NGD Furch Blue OM-CM

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ShadowShadow Frets: 73
    Dave_Mc said:

I recently bought a Dowina which is cedar/khaya- similar idea to Furch (in fact I think way back the Dowina main guy worked with Furch), in that they're killer guitars at a really great price- but that means I probably don't want a cedar/mahogany Furch now. I love the look of walnut but I'm not 100% sure I like its tone, and previously that was the only other option in the Blue series. I'm also probably not going to pay £1500 for a spruce/khaya Furch either. I mean- I'll probably not pay £800 for one of the Violets either as I have too many guitars, but it's a lot more likely than £1500!
    I bought a cedar/walnut Dowina unseen during one of the lockdowns, and while the quality of the guitar was undeniable the tone wasn't what I was looking for.

bertie said:
    I was impressed with the specs when they first got mentioned on here a while back,  but IIRC I don't think Dowina do a "vintage"  model/look ?  
    They do a Vintage series but not a vintage look as far as I know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The Hiscox case has arrived and it's actually Furch branded which is a bonus. I've had a good look at it and can only find two barely visible marks in the plastic on the underside. It's the tightest fitting care I've ever had but I expect the padding will give slightly with use. So a near as damn it brand new Furch branded Hiscox for around £160 less than Furch would have charged, thank you Colin at Hiscox!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9qtcssiVNfNKDfzL7
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @Shadow ; Yes, the padding will get less tight with wear, though don't force your guitar in. You shouldn't have to do that :) 
    Mellish said:
    @Shadow ; Yes, the padding will get less tight with wear, though don't force your guitar in. You shouldn't have to do that :) 
    It almost came to that but it's already eased slightly.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Mellish said:
    true,  but "snug" is better than "floppy"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5506
    Are we still talking about guitar cases?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Shadow ; are you controlling RH?

Maybe that could be behind the overtight fit? :) 
    Mellish said:
    @Shadow ; are you controlling RH?

Maybe that could be behind the overtight fit?  
    Not normally a problem here, though it has occasionally dropped slightly below 40% briefly here recently. Currently at 53% in the room where the guitar is kept.
    53% is fine. Lower doesn't cause swelling which is what I was getting at. Lower causes shrinking. But don't aim for that so your guitar fits better in its case. Target 45-55% :) 
    edited August 2022
    So I shouldn't put the guitar in the airing cupboard for a couple of days so it fits better in the case?  s
    Er...no! Get yourself an humidifier for the guitar (D'Addario Humidipak, say) and a hygrometer for the rroom,something like Oasis Caliber lV, so you can monitor :) 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    edited August 2022
    bertie said:
    I was impressed with the specs when they first got mentioned on here a while back,  but IIRC I don't think Dowina do a "vintage"  model/look ?  
    I've only tried mine, but I don't think so. As @Shadow said, they do a "Vintage" series, but I think that's just a name! Mine does sound on the more modern end of things, to my ears at least.

Shadow said:
    I bought a cedar/walnut Dowina unseen during one of the lockdowns, and while the quality of the guitar was undeniable the tone wasn't what I was looking for.

They do sound pretty modern, it's one of those things that you either want or don't- or in my case, am not that bothered about since I can always get another guitar (!). Mine was nice enough that there was no way I was sending it back. I haven't tried their walnut ones, but as I said above, I'm not sure I'm that keen on walnut anyway. Mine is a DV247/MusicStore exclusive model which is cedar top, khaya/African mahogany back and sides.

Shadow said:
    The Hiscox case has arrived and it's actually Furch branded which is a bonus. I've had a good look at it and can only find two barely visible marks in the plastic on the underside. It's the tightest fitting care I've ever had but I expect the padding will give slightly with use. So a near as damn it brand new Furch branded Hiscox for around £160 less than Furch would have charged, thank you Colin at Hiscox!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9qtcssiVNfNKDfzL7
    Wow that's awesome! :D