Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #85

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #85. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @digitalkettle for providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st August 2022.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 5pts @fastonebaz , well, the way you started was so very different from the rest. Found it the most original approach
    3pts @DrHungry , very nice interaction between the two guitars.
    1pts @digitalkettle , really liked the sound and composition. It was like watching a dance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4126
    5pts @DigitalDave ; loved the tone and slipperyness of the notes
    3pts @DrHungry more splendid playing and tones
    1pt @stratman3142 so restrained and blended really well to the backing track

All very well played, so hard to choose.  Great backing track. 

• 5pts @DrHungry - the most empathetic towards the backing...nice tonez
    3pts @DigitalDave - solid 80s rock tone, tastefully and precisely played
    1pt @Vibetronic - imaginative and brilliantly orchestrated as usual

Well done everyone!
  • 5 points : @DrHungry : Loads of variety in this one. Great sparkly tones. The start reminded me of Polyphia. Then a nice fat lead tone. Lots of layers. Very expressive. Full of ideas.

3 points : @Digitalkettle : Another inventive one. I like your 'time'. Your playing just seems to 'sit right' rhythmically. I like the way you do those nifty fast lines but avoid things sounding too intense.

1 point : @DigitalDave : Just seems to blend in nicely with the backing. Maybe it could have been a smidgen louder.

It's not a competition.
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    5 points - @fastonebaz . Nice contrast between the sections, I liked the layers and that fast run over the B section was pretty epic. All in all it had a good story to it. A lesser man might have dialled back the verb a touch at times but hey, in for a penny, in for a pound!

3 points - @Vibetronic . Almost cinematic in composition and execution! But at the same time, knowing the chops you possess, suitably restrained in keeping with the backing. Another good story in a solo 

1 point - @stratman3142 . And a nice contrast, lovely melodic approach, I enjoyed the delicate double stops and the tasteful trem. I've never heard Polyphia before but I'll look them up.

Honourable mention to @MagicPigDetective , I wouldn't have thought of pairing this backing with fuzz but it was a cool tone. All good entries though, it was a long playlist this month and all the better for it. 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    5 points @digitalkettle - I'm a sucker for melodic solos that leave you feeling happy and that definitely achieved that
    3 points @Vibetronic - nicely out there yet still melodic and creative 
    1 point @stratman3142 -  loved the subtle, different approach 

Sorry to the rest of you - great playing all round
  • 5pts @digitalkettle - nailing the sound, melody and playing - loved the triplet rhythms 
     3pts @stratman3142 - so tasty and refined 
     1pt @fastonebaz - epic - original approach to the beginning and end and nice wang bar usage throughout

well done everyone i enjoyed them all :)
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Sorry, I’ve been away slightly unexpectedly and for longer than planned - will try and listen to all and cast my vote tomorrow when I’m home! :)
  • 5 pts @Flying_pie ; similar melodic ideas to what I was trying, but far better execution!
    3 pts @DigitalDave ; soaring
    1 pts  @DrHungry most inventive

Is the backing track referring to a particular song or artist? I have no idea

DrHungry said:
    Honourable mention to @MagicPigDetective , I wouldn't have thought of pairing this backing with fuzz but it was a cool tone. All good entries though, it was a long playlist this month and all the better for it. 
     Thanks... I can't match you guys in terms of technique, so need to try to come up with something different or unusual. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2202
    edited August 2022

Is the backing track referring to a particular song or artist? I have no idea

@digitalkettle supplied the backing track, so he would know.

Entry closes tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.

• Is the backing track referring to a particular song or artist? I have no idea
    @digitalkettle supplied the backing track, so he would know.
     @MagicPigDetective No, I just go with whatever comes to mind...however, I'd just got a new bundle of Stewart Copeland MIDI loops so the drums evolved from a few butchered loops from 'Wrapped Around Your Finger'. The rest of the track has no direct  influence from The Police at all...in fact, the main riff was me getting my head around something I saw in a Rabea vid about how he develops interesting stuff in drop-D tuning ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Just in time!

5pts @digitalkettle - just really good playing, and you always throw in a killer line somewhere which makes me annoyed that I didn't think of it. Here it was the little run up to the faster bit at about 31-32 seconds in. Great.
    3 pts @DrHungry  - that was really cool and great use of harmonics! Different and I really enjoyed it!
    1 pt @stratman3142  - excellent playing and great tone. 

Really I could have swapped the order of these/chosen others, it was really difficult but due to limited time I've gone with gut instinct! Well done all! Honorable mentions to @fastonebaz for a more out-there shred take and likewise @DigitalDave - on another day it might have gone your way. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5864
    Sorry I'm late to the party here, I'm totally inundated with annoying chores and things to get straight around the house. I'm run ragged.

Fantastic efforts by everyone, great backing and plenty of entries again.

5 Points @digitalkettle ;

3 Points @DigitalDave ;

1 Point @stratman3142 ;

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Voting closed.

It's not a competition.