Question re Martin "reimagined" model designation

What's Hot
I keep coming across mentions of a Martin "reimagined" series, but don't find that designation on Martin's website anywhere.

Is it a name that was discontinued, or now called something else?

Is it referring to the change in specs made to their Standard Series in 2018?  so e.g. a "D-28 Reimagined" would be a Standard Series D-28 made post 2018?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5526
    In one word, yes. Or so I understand it.

(BTW, last time someone mentioned those guitars here I laughed a little bit because they had written "reimagined" where the actual term Martin uses is, of course, "reimaged". ... um ... no it isn't. Woops!)

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited August 2022
    It'"s Re-imagined, launched in 2018.

If you try models in that series, and they work for you, you'll love 'em. The HD-28, with its forward shifted bracing, is LOUD. But make sure that the soft V is comfortable for you. I fell into the trap of thinking I could get used to it.

@blueskiwi ; basically, the Re-imagined series is an update on the Standard series. The updates are:
    Neck profile
    Aged toner and open gear tuners
    Bracing
  • randellarandella Frets: 4226
    Yep, @Mellish has it covered. The purfling on the body is also the old-style herringbone, that's the only other thing I could think of.

I liked the neck on mine as soon as I played a chord, still love it now. I def agree it could be a bit of an acquired taste though.

And it is LOUD. Very loud. The first thing I did when I got it home was play it in the bathroom - I've always done this with acoustics, it's good to hear the reflected sound. Anyway my HD-28 took me a bit by surprise :)
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    edited August 2022
    Simple answer. The previous 'Re-imagined' spec is now the 'Standard' spec. They are the same.

In 2018 the re-imagined spec was being flaunted as a major reversion upgrade re-incorporating some of the features of the post-war Martins. And it was good stuff! I have a 2018 OM28 re-imagined. It's great.

Moving on (to now) the 'Modern Deluxe' iteration is the latest 'best thing'. It's a) different b) not that brilliant and c) bloody expensive!

Essential message - if you want a nice mid-range Martin, buy the Standard. They're cheaper, are 100% identical to the 're-imagined' spec and they're very very nice. Or you can spend a whole lot more for silly things like 'liquid metal' bridge pins and titanium truss rods.

Martin smoke and mirrors. Very expensive smoke and mirrors too. IMHO. Others may disagree.

OM-28 | Standard Series | Martin Guitar

OM-28 Modern Deluxe | Modern Deluxe Series | Martin Guitar

Buy the Standard (i.e re-imagined). You'll be happy, able to pay your gas bills, AND own a better guitar.

:-) 

Or buy a Furch.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks all, it sounds like it is roughly as I had understood.

I find I'm not at all fussy about neck profile, but I prefer the narrower nut widths...  I can cope with 1 3/4" but prefer 1 11/16", though it seems like by and large Martin are using the former.
  • RicjoRicjo Frets: 20
    blueskiwi said:
    Thanks all, it sounds like it is roughly as I had understood.

I find I'm not at all fussy about neck profile, but I prefer the narrower nut widths...  I can cope with 1 3/4" but prefer 1 11/16", though it seems like by and large Martin are using the former.
    Yep, one of the reimagined changes made on top of what was described above, was the move from 1 11/16 to 1 3/4 inch width.

Should also be said the 18 series was also reimagined, but earlier and without the ‘reimagined’ prefix. Any 18 series from 2012 onwards will be ‘reimagined’ also. If you don’t have a serial number to check pre or post 2012 18 series, a giveaway is the tortoise shell pick guard, as opposed to the black one (another reimagined change). Same can be said for 28 series, except for the current sporadic examples that are coming out with a black pick guard, due to tortoise shell shortages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    How 'effing stupid is that? "Tortoiseshell" is just plastic. Has been for ... oh ... as long as most of us here have been alive. And there is a "shortage"? 

Sorry. We now resume scheduled service ...
  • I was wondering about the tortoise binding (I quite like it)

Martin website shows and describes the 000-18 as having it https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/standard-series/000-18.html

But I saw a couple for sale recently that looked like they just had plain black binding despite being made since 2018. But to be fair was a bit hard to tell from photos

However the 000-15 does say "Due to material availability this guitar is designed with either a tortoise pattern or black pickguard. Selection may vary."
    https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/15-series/000-15M.html
    Cough cough. With Martins, the great thing is not the colour of the binding. It is whether the binding is still there or not.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s a bit harsh imo. The modern deluxe offers quite a lot of changes over the Standard or Re-imagined. Yes you get the much debated liquid metal bridge pins (take ‘em off if you don’t like em). But you also get a carbon fibre bridge plate (lighter weight and less likely to need repairing), a titanium truss rod which substantially reduces weight, a VTS top, Waverley tuners, a new Abone inlayed logo, eve gold frets, WOOD binding (best thing about the series imo) and a wonderfully playable new neck carve. For roughly a grand more.

Personally when I tried both series, there wasn’t a huge difference in tone, as you would expect, but all those little changes made me opt for the MD (for roughly a grand more). The MD did sound more balanced to me, but that could be down the the individual guitar. The MD neck carve is perfect for electric players and the guitar looks a whole lot nicer with the flames maple binding. 

The Authentic series used to up-charge over a grand for just the Hot Hide Glue…

Furch don’t really do the Martin sound that well, although they are stunning guitars. Most people put them somewhere between a Martin and a Taylor, but to my ears they are more in Taylor territory (absolutely wonderful guitars though, and impeccably made). 
    I wasn't serious, @Norlin4life ; - I never could resist the chance to slip in a one-liner. I imagine that in reality the notorious Martin binding issue is quite rare.

On to your last point, I don't think anyone does the Martin sound well, at least not amongst the makes that I have tried often enough to have a mental picture of. (Can one have a mental "picture" of a sound? Oh well, you know what I mean.) Even the  guitars which shamelessly purport to be "D-28 clones" aren't. They tend to have a brighter, shallower, more lively sound. (Come to think of it, the Martin guitar I most regret not buying, a second-hand HD-28, was also notably light and bright by Martin standards. So maybe the clone makers have the right idea!)

Anyway, I rather suspect that any make which really did produce guitars with the Martin sound would be roundly criticised for having a "muddy bass". 

I wonder what would happen if parliament passed a law to the effect that anyone buying a guitar had to choose it blindfold?
    Martins are bloody good.

I loved the pre Re-imagined models. The D-35 I had in the 90s was one of the best acoustics I've ever owned..

The Re-imagined series I'm not such a big fan of. But that's just me, you might love 'em :) 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    Tannin said:
    On to your last point, I don't think anyone does the Martin sound well, at least not amongst the makes that I have tried often enough to have a mental picture of. (Can one have a mental "picture" of a sound? Oh well, you know what I mean.) Even the  guitars which shamelessly purport to be "D-28 clones" aren't. They tend to have a brighter, shallower, more lively sound. (Come to think of it, the Martin guitar I most regret not buying, a second-hand HD-28, was also notably light and bright by Martin standards. So maybe the clone makers have the right idea!)

Anyway, I rather suspect that any make which really did produce guitars with the Martin sound would be roundly criticised for having a "muddy bass". 

I wonder what would happen if parliament passed a law to the effect that anyone buying a guitar had to choose it blindfold?
    I don't really know much about Martins, but this is an interesting point, and I suspect it applies to most of the big names- copies are accused of "not being accurate enough" (i.e not sounding like the average run-of-the-mill example of the big name guitars), yet often when people say they've tried a particularly good example of the "real thing", it's because it didn't sound the same as all the other ones!
  • I'm not sure I'd buy a modern Martin( even if I had the cash) based on a few of the stories from non affiliated youtubers. It sounds a product where you pay through the nose for the name of a mass produced instrument. I'd hazard there are far better value for money brands out there. This probably goes for Gibson in the electric market too. Great looking instruments but with massive premiums attached for not that great extras,in my uneducated view. I'd be inclined,money permitting,to browse the mid to mid-high range instead. Mind you I'd buy 10 different guitars instead as I feel that would be a better value purchase for me!
    I'm not sure I'd buy a modern Martin( even if I had the cash) based on a few of the stories from non affiliated youtubers. It sounds a product where you pay through the nose for the name of a mass produced instrument. I'd hazard there are far better value for money brands out there. This probably goes for Gibson in the electric market too. Great looking instruments but with massive premiums attached for not that great extras,in my uneducated view. I'd be inclined,money permitting,to browse the mid to mid-high range instead. Mind you I'd buy 10 different guitars instead as I feel that would be a better valu

e purchase for me

Modern Martins are good. There's the Re-imagined series, which won't suit all, there's  the price which some will say should be lower. But the ones I've owned/tried in stores have been good. Build quality was excellent.

Wanting to pay the asking price...well, if you can find as good for less... 

:) 
    Mellish said:

Wanting to pay the asking price...well, if you can find as good for less... 

Very, very easily.

It used to be that Martin made an excellent guitar for 20% over the going rate. Not any more. Post pandemic, their prices have shot up to the point where if you can't find a guitar of significantly better quality for significantly less money, you simply aren't looking.  

I nearly bought a Martin in 2019, and again in 2020, and again in 2021. Now they are asking insane prices for low-end products. Just not worth it anymore. Plenty of other fish in the sea.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    edited September 2022
    My son has an OM-28 from 2019, one of the re-imagined series. It absolutely stunning, there is literally nothing I can say to fault it. 
    edited September 2022
    @Tannin - I'd largely agree.

I went to GG to try Atkin, just to see if *they* were better for less. Was very disappointed.

Atkin are good guitars, as are Fylde and other uk makes, but after 50 years of either Martin or Gibson, it seems that's all I feel right with. 

:)