Gibson 1942 Banner J-45 - Historic Reissue

What's Hot

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5526
    I generally don't care for Gibson acoustics, and of all the Gibson acoustic models, J-45s are pretty much on the bottom of my list. I don't like the way they sound (too much thump, not enough twang), I don't like the way they feel (short scales always feel weak and flubby under the fingers)  and I particularly don't like the way they look - quite possibly the ugliest mainstream acoustic guitar ever made. 

And you know what? This one sounds great. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited August 2022
    It's years since I played a short scale.

This Gibson Dove Original is LOUD unplugged and has a 25.5" scale length.

Fell in love with it not cos of brand or bling (though the vintage cherry Sunburst is very nice) but cos that first downstrum on a G chord told me it was what I was looking for. The sound is big and bold and I love it cos of that  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5526
    I should have tried one ... oh ... two years ago when Gibsons in Oz were outrageously expensive. :-1:  I might have bought one. Now they are just stark, staring insane. For a standard Dove Original, they want $8500! (Just on  £5000!) Not on this planet, thankyou. 

For the same money or less, mostly less, I can buy a top of the line hand-made in Japan Yamaha, pretty much anything sensible in the Martin Modern Deluxe range (never mind the far more sensible Martin Standard range), top-line Guilds, various Collings, Lowdens, or have a magnificent guitar hand-made from exotic timber to my exact specification by any of many well-respected independent luthiers, or by Maton, or Brook, or Lakewood, you name it. And in many of those cases, have change.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 238
    edited August 2022
    "That cool nitro satin finish..makes it lighter"??!!

These guys are not on the Gibbo payroll??
    Must be my phone (no headphones, admittedly) but he makes it sound like a banjo!
     If I was looking for another guitar, this vid wouldn't steer me to Gibson.  s

• RabsRabs Frets: 2611
    tFB Trader
    Soupman said:
    "That cool nitro satin finish..makes it lighter"??!!

These guys are not on the Gibbo payroll??
    Must be my phone (no headphones, admittedly) but he makes it sound like a banjo!
     If I was looking for another guitar, this vid wouldn't steer me to Gibson.  s

It must be your phone.. Or you have some really good sounding banjos :D 

I am only listening on laptop speakers. But it does sound pretty good to me which is why I posted...  

But then I am no acoustic expert in any way so what do I know...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I've had bamjos since the mid 70s. They don't sound anything like guitars, or at least they *shouldn't* do  :)