bad acoustic guitar

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Well sure, nothing wrong with healthy debate. It's when it turns nasty. Cos what happens then? The thread is closed and any comments that *would* have followed (however good) can't be added :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Mellish said:
    Well sure, nothing wrong with healthy debate. It's when it turns nasty. Cos what happens then? The thread is closed and any comments that *would* have followed (however good) can't be added :) 
    start a new one referencing the bad one :)   simples 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    @bertieThere's more to it than that but I think it's best to let it go cos there's better things to discuss :) 
    Mellish said:
     cos there's better things to discuss :) 
    really ?  where ?

=)
    edited September 2022
    @bertieYou're not going to get me at it mate. I like you. I like everyone on here, it's the best forum I've ever been on.

I just hate it when slanging matches start  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    edited September 2022
    I think you need debate in anything. My other forum of frequency is a football forum and that is lively to say the least. I find it humourous that arguments could get heated over a theme so apparently benign as guitars though. Of course the bickering can be influenced by the introduction of politics or religion into topics completely unrelated.
    LOL I can't understand how people get so heated over football!

Mellish said:
    Of course, but that depends on how the forum is policed. You don't just have to nuke a useful thread because a couple of people are being a bit much, for example. (In fact if it becomes obvious that's what will happen, some annoying people may well act like that to try to get useful threads closed!)

Another point about avoiding arguments- I sometimes get the feeling (not saying that's what's happening here, this is another "in general" point!) that some people act like the person who posted second is the one who started the fight. Like, "Why couldn't you have just let it go?"

But the person who posted first is often the one who started the argument, especially if it was something controversial.

It gets to be a race to see who posts first, lol.
    @Dave_Mc ; if there's a bitter argument that turns into a slanging match, who started it isn't the point. All are involved through choice. 

In any case, as I said, to keep going over it is for what? The rules are in place. We either like them or we don't :) 
  • Dave_Mc said:
    I think you need debate in anything. My other forum of frequency is a football forum and that is lively to say the least. I find it humourous that arguments could get heated over a theme so apparently benign as guitars though. Of course the bickering can be influenced by the introduction of politics or religion into topics completely unrelated.
    LOL I can't understand how people get so heated over football!

Mellish said:
    Of course, but that depends on how the forum is policed. You don't just have to nuke a useful thread because a couple of people are being a bit much, for example. (In fact if it becomes obvious that's what will happen, some annoying people may well act like that to try to get useful threads closed!)

Another point about avoiding arguments- I sometimes get the feeling (not saying that's what's happening here, this is another "in general" point!) that some people act like the person who posted second is the one who started the fight. Like, "Why couldn't you have just let it go?"

But the person who posted first is often the one who started the argument, especially if it was something controversial.

It gets to be a race to see who posts first, lol.
    The heated debate over football topics can get quite silly online but the game is very passionate,or used to be. It arouses these passions due to it's historic roots and how it has become to be seen as a working class game despite its origins being reported as Public School based or even imported from China or Mongolia! It's tribal and goes far beyond the football field and can often be steeped in religious and political history. Unfortunately the football of today is largely a sterile theatre of hollywood type headlines and personalities designed to make money at the expense of those working class fans who are hooked on the game as badly as any drug addict.

@Dave_Mc and @guitarjack66 ; I think we agree on one thing: this is a great place to be.

It may not be perfect (that's subjective, I guess) but it's free (if you want it to be) and is  populated by a great bunch of people... and. bertie =) ;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2022
    Mellish said:
    @Dave_Mc and @guitarjack66 ; I think we agree on one thing: this is a great place to be.

oh no it isnt............
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well it is for me and that's...yeah, that's why I'm here =) 
    Mellish said:
    @Dave_Mc ; if there's a bitter argument that turns into a slanging match, who started it isn't the point. All are involved through choice. 

In any case, as I said, to keep going over it is for what? The rules are in place. We either like them or we don't :) 
    See that's where I disagree. The person who started it (either the person who acted dickish first, or the person making outlandish (i.e. made up) claims) is mainly to blame, at least in my opinion. 
    The heated debate over football topics can get quite silly online but the game is very passionate,or used to be. It arouses these passions due to it's historic roots and how it has become to be seen as a working class game despite its origins being reported as Public School based or even imported from China or Mongolia! It's tribal and goes far beyond the football field and can often be steeped in religious and political history. Unfortunately the football of today is largely a sterile theatre of hollywood type headlines and personalities designed to make money at the expense of those working class fans who are hooked on the game as badly as any drug addict.
    Yeah your last sentence is why I don't like it any more. I guess almost all sport these days is all about money, but football seems especially bad.

I guess I find it a bit worrying how some people can take football so seriously that they'd beat people up (or worse!) solely due to football rivalries. There's enough genuine stuff to fight about without making up things to fight about, surely? Much less seriously, but still pretty worrying for the mentality of it, I've had friends say stuff like, "Oh, so-and-so is a good guy, he supports my team" !

I don't know what to do with that. 

Mellish said:

It may not be perfect (that's subjective, I guess) but it's free (if you want it to be) and is  populated by a great bunch of people... and. bertie =) ;) 
    LOL

And yeah agreed :)

(Sorry if I derailed the thread :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_Mc said:
    Mellish said:

See that's where I disagree. The person who started it (either the person who acted dickish first, or the person making outlandish (i.e. made up) claims) is mainly to blame, at least in my opinion. 
    Yeah your last sentence is why I don't like it any more. I guess almost all sport these days is all about money, but football seems especially bad.

I guess I find it a bit worrying how some people can take football so seriously that they'd beat people up (or worse!) solely due to football rivalries. There's enough genuine stuff to fight about without making up things to fight about, surely? Much less seriously, but still pretty worrying for the mentality of it, I've had friends say stuff like, "Oh, so-and-so is a good guy, he supports my team" !

I don't know what to do with that. 

Mellish said:

LOL

And yeah agreed :)

(Sorry if I derailed the thread :))
    Fortunately football violence of the past is limited to smaller clubs smaller towns where the residents are a bit insular and need some kind of crutch to cling to because of their dreary lives. I detest most international football as nationalism is one of my biggest hates. 
    Anyway,let's get back to guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2022
     guitarjack66 said:

Fortunately football violence of the past is limited to smaller clubs smaller towns where the residents are a bit insular and need some kind of crutch to cling to because of their dreary lives.
    and your evidence is ?    That is massively highly insulting  and more so, quite the opposite.  

You might want to take a long, hard think before you post again
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    edited September 2022
    Dave_Mc said:
    Mellish said:
    ^^^ totally agree with the not wanting to get into arguments.

People watching, wondering whether to sign up, can be easily put off by members arguing. 

The loser is the forum. 

Just my opinion. 

They can, but never seeing any arguments can also put people off. It's a bit like those totalitarian countries who act like they're amazing because they never have any protests- *not* having protests is a danger sign more than having them is! Especially (going back to forums now) if the "getting along" is artificial, and only enforced by the mods etc..

I can only talk for myself (and being someone who's been on forums for years, I may be completely different from newcomers!), but seeing a forum where arguments aren't allowed puts me off! In fact, that's one of the reasons I stopped going to TGP- it was made very clear to me, by the mods, that they basically didn't care who was right or wrong, just that there were no arguments. That even extended to people propagating misinformation- you'd get into more trouble for arguing with them than for talking nonsense! I think they may have rowed back on that more recently, but the damage was done and I kind of took the hump and left, lol.
    Ditto AGF, which I sometimes look at on individual issues but never contribute to any more. Similar to your experiences @Dave_Mc ; I had some fairly innocuous comments about Chinese guitars knocked back by the AGF mods on what I thought were overly censorial grounds. Also they were rude, which rather defeats the purpose of being 'woke'.  Its their forum, they can do what they want, but I don't have to join in. Definitely took the hump!

On the arguing thing? Generally, I would tend towards the non-arguing end of the spectrum. Unless something is misleading, in which case pleasant correction would be the thing.

Important to remain courteous and polite and jolly. Then it stays fun, and interesting. FB Acoustic the best forum imho. Some very knowledgeable, helpful folk on here and tone usually just about right. And, as grown ups, we can debate things.
    DavidR said:
    Ditto AGF, which I sometimes look at on individual issues but never contribute to any more. Similar to your experiences @Dave_Mc ; I had some fairly innocuous comments about Chinese guitars knocked back by the AGF mods on what I thought were overly censorial grounds. Also they were rude, which rather defeats the purpose of being 'woke'.  Its their forum, they can do what they want, but I don't have to join in. Definitely took the hump!

On the arguing thing? Generally, I would tend towards the non-arguing end of the spectrum. Unless something is misleading, in which case pleasant correction would be the thing.

Important to remain courteous and polite and jolly. Then it stays fun, and interesting. FB Acoustic the best forum imho. Some very knowledgeable, helpful folk on here and tone usually just about right. And, as grown ups, we can debate things.
    To be clear, what I call "arguing" I would suspect (hope!) most other people would understand as "debating". I'm not saying that you should go in all guns blazing, even if the other person is wrong, unless they get rude first. :)

And yeah the acoustic section is absolutely brilliant here. Unfortunately I'm much more of an electric player, lol, but I try to hang around and learn a bit, and help when I can (which isn't often!) :) 
  • bertie said:
     guitarjack66 said:

Fortunately football violence of the past is limited to smaller clubs smaller towns where the residents are a bit insular and need some kind of crutch to cling to because of their dreary lives.
    and your evidence is ?    That is massively highly insulting  and more so, quite the opposite.  

You might want to take a long, hard think before you post again
    I am not getting into a football argument on here so I apologise for my comments. It seems the biggest morons are a portion of those who follow the English National team and historically too. There isnt too much violence as such inside grounds but more away from those grounds due to increased security. Incidents are up but its always difficult to define what incidents actually are. 
    PS,I live in a small town but I am from a city originally.