Picks and Plectrums

What's Hot

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7278
    edited September 2022
    I've discovered a really good way to make a slippery pick more "grippy" without punching holes in it or putting stuff on your hands.  Loctite Extreme No-Drip Gel.  I think Asda still have it for about 3 quid a tube.  It smells like two-part Araldite type epoxy (that smell you get from a modern catalytic converter exhaust after the eggy smell goes) and has that annoying epoxy stickiness before it dries on your fingers, but is just a one-part glue.  I use it for loads of things where I want a strong bond but might need to break that bond later, something almost impossible with 2-part epoxies.  It dries hard but not as rock solid and glassy as 2-part epoxy because it's designed to remain very slightly flexible, so although it doesn't have a sticky feel it's not marble smooth and provides a grip on celluloid picks.  Just scrape the wide end across rough sandpaper or a concrete slab to provide a key for the glue and smear a bit onto both sides.  It dries fully within a day.

Regarding the flexibility of picks, I used to use Dunlop Nylon ones for acoustic guitar because I felt that the "rubbery" flexibility created a strumming tone that was halfway between my thumb and a harder pick, but eventually I just reverted to strumming with my thumb at the edge of the nail when I wanted a softer sound and just palmed a 0.75mm (or thereabouts) celluloid that I used for sharper strumming sounds and picking.  On electrics I used to use the thick small Gibson, Peavey and Fender teardrop picks because I felt that it made my picking more accurate and without any clackiness or latency caused by too flexible a pick, but eventually found they were too small for my arthritic fingers and I now use 0.9mm celluloid picks that have a tiny bit of flexibility that I now prefer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    My top tips for helping with pick grip:

1. Holding the pick more LOOSELY helps. Counterintuitive but its true.

2. Logos aren't helpful for grip. (Also counterintuitive) IME, a smoother pick surface increases the surface are for the thumb to grip. So if you have a pick where the logo can be rubbed off...rub it off. Or else, try holding the pick upside down (logo facing the floor) to maximise the top surface where the thumb rests

3. Saliva - lick your finger & dab it against your thumb...hey presto magic grip
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    ^^^  Sorry, couldn't disagree more. But if it works for you??
  • I couldn't hold my pick any looser if I tried.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    jellyroll said:
    My top tips for helping with pick grip:

1. Holding the pick more LOOSELY helps. Counterintuitive but its true.

2. Logos aren't helpful for grip. (Also counterintuitive) IME, a smoother pick surface increases the surface are for the thumb to grip. So if you have a pick where the logo can be rubbed off...rub it off. Or else, try holding the pick upside down (logo facing the floor) to maximise the top surface where the thumb rests

3. Saliva - lick your finger & dab it against your thumb...hey presto magic grip
    Agree wholeheartedly with 1). As for 2) I like logo picks (see above). I don't think it's about practical levels of grip, more 'feel' which is harder to define. I can't remember the last time I dropped a pick of any sort at home, the odd gig, or in rehearsal - but the Jazz IIIs just feel better to hold.

3) - I've never tried, to be honest. If it works... :)

It's all a personal thing really. Whatever does the trick.
  • My background is in materials science ... the variation in flexibility of plectra is entirely consequent to the thermo-mechanical properties induced by the moulding process.

The choice of polymer or composite or laminate determines the pressure-temp range for moulding and whilst the thickness of material is directly related to stiffness, (deflection) the rate of cooling (quenching) and proximity to Tg (glass transition temperature) determine its properties for end use.

Needless to say this is complex ... even for a simple device such as a plectrum. It is actually micro-engineering.

The combination of a human (with all of their individual traits and preferences) makes the overall system and the sound it produces a unique event or unique pairing.

Long may it continue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I can understand the saliva suggestion as we lick our fingers sometimes to turn pages of books and newspapers. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    boxer slobber,    works a treat
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can understand the saliva suggestion as we lick our fingers sometimes to turn pages of books and newspapers. 
    But didnt work at all for me. Maybe I should eat sugary foods first?
    anyone tried the Graphtech Tusq thumbpicks ? 

being quite "stiff"  I'd imagine they're not too giving/flexible on the thumb "fit" 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @bertie ; probably. It's hard to say.

Ideally, you'd need to try first. Isn't there a store reasonably close so that you can try?

I'm different. I go for medium and they just seem fine :) 
  • My plectrum of choice is the pickboy nylon which I have used for the last 25 years for acoustic and the ceramic version for electric. These have become rare in the UK over the years and expensive ( check Amazon prices ) However just ordered another 20 from http://plectrum-online.nl/. Which were £29 delivered with nothing extra to pay when they arrived

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • My plectrum of choice is the pickboy nylon which I have used for the last 25 years for acoustic and the ceramic version for electric. These have become rare in the UK over the years and expensive ( check Amazon prices ) However just ordered another 20 from http://plectrum-online.nl/. Which were £29 delivered with nothing extra to pay when they arrived

I assume they are very 'grippy?'
  • @guitarjack66  Yes, the thing about them the body is quite stiff but the tip is more flexible
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Mellish said:

Ideally, you'd need to try first. Isn't there a store reasonably close so that you can try?

not economically close enough, no  (ie means driving 10 miles and parking fee)
    edited September 2022
    @bertie ; again, gigging mates are recommending D'Addario National thumbpicks.

Apparently the range is large - and, if you buy from Strings Direct (01702 540068), you can return for a refund if not suitable. 

There's also an adjustable thumbpick but it's metal  
    edited September 2022
    @mellish -  thanks

Mellish said:

There's also an adjustable thumbpick but it's mental  
    probably true
    @bertie ; I learned about the adjustable one from Strings Direct. Give. 'em a bell to learn more :) 
    @bertie - also, have a look at the ProPik range.

Mostly fingerpicks but possibly some thumbpicks in there. They're nicely bevelled and comfortable :) 
    Mellish said:
    @bertie - also, have a look at the ProPik range.

Mostly fingerpicks but possibly some thumbpicks in there. They're nicely bevelled and comfortable :) 
    I have the metal pro-pik with the nylon blade, oddly I found it clearing up some "stuff" in the "study" (spare bedroom !! =) ) and a load of other bits from about 10 years ago !! - it's "ok" but I do need to shape the blade to more of a rounded point. -