Custom Made Scratch Plates/Pickguards

What's Hot
Hi there,

I was just wondering whether anyone knew of a place where I could get some nice celluloid tortoiseshell style with bevel scratch plates made for a couple of custom acoustic guitars I'm having made?

It seems they're like rocking horse shit in this country to get that decent Tor-tis style quality for dreadnought/OM type guitars.  Atkin used to make custom ones for not too crazy money, but I emailed them and rudely they never replied and that link is no longer showing up on their site, so I gave up as presumed they'd stopped offering them.

Thanks in advance for any options.

Graeme
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    you could try Tom at  Waghornguitars@gmail.com
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:
    you could try Tom at  Waghornguitars@gmail.com

Thanks @bertie . Will drop them an email.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    KGB of Birkenhead is another source. :) 
  • If you are having a custom guitar made, why can you not specify to your supplier what you want? Then it's no longer your problem only a matter of cost.
  • Try Holter Pickguards, it's only a FB link, no website: https://www.facebook.com/holterpickguards

I've no experience, but stumbled across this video the other day:

• If you are having a custom guitar made, why can you not specify to your supplier what you want? Then it's no longer your problem only a matter of cost.

I would do that, but the scratchplates they have in stock I'm not a huge fan of due to the quality, so I'm investigating other means.
  • Mellish said:
    KGB of Birkenhead is another source. :) 

Thanks @Mellish, will give them a shout too.
  • Try Holter Pickguards, it's only a FB link, no website: https://www.facebook.com/holterpickguards

I've no experience, but stumbled across this video the other day:

Amazing! They seem decent enough. Thanks for that @Coldfingers ;
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    edited September 2022
    I’ve been looking for one for my Loar, and that reminds me that I should investigate these in more detail: https://www.jp-guitars.co.uk/sales/parts_and_spares/pickguards/pickguards.htm
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1592
    I can certainly vouch for Holter pickguards.
    I had a custom tigerstripe made for my all hog Waterloo. Really nice guy and top quality work. All in it cost me around £75 inc. shipping, etc.
    Whole process took about 3 weeks from me contacting him to sticking it on. 
  • TDubs said:

Thanks @TDubs will drop them an email. Would be easier to deal with someone in the UK.

Cheers!
  • I had a nice pickguard/scratchpatch custom made out of wood by Mansons guitars, I was really pleased with it. Bevelled edges, fitted around the rosette, etc Not quite what you're after, but worth seeing if they can work with plastics also.
  • Try calling Alister at Atkin guitars. By his own admission they’re not great at responding to emails. He’s a very helpful guy in my experience , I’m sure he’ll point you in the right direction. 
  • Try calling Alister at Atkin guitars. By his own admission they’re not great at responding to emails. He’s a very helpful guy in my experience , I’m sure he’ll point you in the right direction. 

Thanks @Warblington I just presumed they'd stopped doing these things. Will give them a shout as they looked decent quality and quite reasonable for a celluloid one.
  • GRBaldwin said:
    Try calling Alister at Atkin guitars. By his own admission they’re not great at responding to emails. He’s a very helpful guy in my experience , I’m sure he’ll point you in the right direction. 

Thanks @Warblington I just presumed they'd stopped doing these things. Will give them a shout as they looked decent quality and quite reasonable for a celluloid one.
    Good luck, I hope you get things sorted.
  • Anyone with experience of replacing the pickguard on their acoustic - what is the process like?

Any special advice or techniques needed for removing the old one?

I have an early 2000s Martin that has a cheap-looking screenprinted tortoise pickguard, but I'd hate to damage the finish on the top while attempting an unnecessary cosmetic upgrade...
  • blueskiwi said:
    Anyone with experience of replacing the pickguard on their acoustic - what is the process like?

I have an early 2000s Martin that has a cheap-looking screenprinted tortoise pickguard, but I'd hate to damage the finish on the top while attempting an unnecessary cosmetic upgrade...
    There’s some good advice about this on the Stewmac website.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1592
    blueskiwi said:
    Anyone with experience of replacing the pickguard on their acoustic - what is the process like?

Hairdryer - take it slowly, medium heat, get one of the corners up first then use a credit card or such like to lift it up as you go. I used lighter fluid to clean off the residual glue. 
    You might  be left with a shadow where the old one was but if you're replacing it that doesn't matter.