Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is it wrong to want a guitar purely for its looks?!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Everyone needs a 335!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Mick;33475" said:
    You only live once mate, do it. ;)
    This. +a brazillion !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Definately nothing wrong with it - Strats are as iconic as Les Pauls and Tele's - everyone should have one of each at least.....

So if anyone has a Les Paul for me my collection of the 3 will be complete 
    :))

Seriously though, as guys have already said - nothing wrong with it, and if you want one and can afford/trade for one, then do it - don't hold back and then regret it in later years, I know I have been guilty of that one and have kicked myself since as far as certain guitars and opportunities are concerned. 
  • From what you have said, I'd go for a Classic Player 60s Strat, they are ace.

In terms of getting a guitar based on looks... I know that the middle pickup on this would do my head in, but would it stop me?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think buying a guitar based on looks in totally fine, we all do it to some extent, but make sure you don't regret it when you actually play it, I've been there. Try and get something that plays super nice and also looks just how you want it
  • If it's to hang it on a wall, purely for looks is fine.
    If you intend to play it regularly it also has to feel good to play (it might need a set-up to your liking).
    Sounds can normally be tweaked to your taste. :)
  • I keep one. I rarely use it. tbh I don't think I need it.
    I'm the same. Thinking of selling my Strat as it doesn't see the light very often.
  • Well for the most part you're not helping chaps!

Ok. I think I want one in daphne blue with a maple neck. Looking pretty aged. Ting is that is quite specific and there doesn't seem to be too many like that kicking around.  Guess, since I'm not in a rush I have the luxury of just waiting until the right one comes along.  Maybe I should start a process of budget manipulation in anticipation of the big day!

...wonder what time the guitar shop in town closes tomorrow...
  • Right folks. What's the low down on these fender classic 50s strats then? Any good. Moves could be afoot...
  • I had a 50s classic player, it was the best strat I've played - only sold it because I need to raise some money.
  • Everyone needs a 335!
    +1
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10848
    tFB Trader
    Yes whip yourself and be ashamed :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 685
    I bought my Ravelle because I saw Dave Navarro playing one in a video and thought it looked awesome.
  • Well, I came within an inch of pulling the trigger on a green 50s strat. But couldn't bring myself to do it. I have 3 great electric guitars that I love and that do everything I need. That's more than enough! The limiting factor in my musical career is certainly not my lack of having a strat!
    Having said that, if those strats had a nitro finish rather than poly I probably would have done it anyway!
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I'd no more play an ugly guitar than shag a swamp donkey. Er, wait... hang on.....may need a rethink...
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13574
    Everyone needs a 335!

if only to make them appreciate everything else they own.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    If you buy an ugly guitar that plays beautifully , the only pleasure you get is when you play it.
    If you love the look of it too , even when you are not playing it you can still enjoy looking at it.
    So therefore you are doubling the enjoyment of owning it :)